Neighbours mourn mum-of-three killed in Thame fire

Herald Series: The scene at Greenway, Thame, following the fatal house fire The scene at Greenway, Thame, following the fatal house fire

A 62-YEAR-OLD mother-of-three died in a house fire in Thame, believed to have been started by a cigarette.

Christine Fullwood died in the blaze on Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters from Thame, Wheatley and Oxford were called to Greenway at 3.25pm.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue group manager Jason Crapper said: “Crews on arrival were confronted with a fire in the living room of the property and heavy smoke logging throughout.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire and located the occupant but were unfortunately unable to save them.

“There is a strong possibility that the fire was caused by a cigarette, or perhaps other smoking materials. The investigation has not closed yet though.”

An ambulance was called at 3.31pm but Mrs Fullwood was pronounced dead at the scene. Two cats also died in the fire.

Mrs Fullwood is understood to have lived with husband David in the semi-detached house.

Neighbour Norman McRae, 79, said: “It is a shock. She had been there as long as we have been, since 1971. She always spoke to you, she would say hello.”

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: “She was a very down to earth person, they kept themselves to themselves. It is very, very sad.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree