When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Carer rescues elderly woman from fire in flat
9:30am Monday 28th October 2013 in News
A BRAVE carer rescued an elderly woman from her flat after a small fire broke out.
The fire service have praised the actions of the carer after the rescue in Fairacres Road, Didcot, on Saturday afternoon.
The elderly woman was given oxygen for smoke inhalation by firefighters while her carer was checked over before paramedics arrived.
A dropped cigarette that ignited materials in a wooden wicker basket caused the small fire.
Station manager Marcus Reay said the elderly resident had a lucky escape.
He added: “Cigarettes that fall on to sofas or cushions can easily result in far larger fires with tragic consequences.
“I would like to thank the carer that rescued the elderly lady.
“Although the fire and rescue service do not advocate entering a building that is on fire, it was a very brave thing to do and highlights what a special carer she is.
“Her actions certainly reduced the injuries to the elderly lady.”
The woman was taken by ambulance to the John Radcliffe Hospital but no further information about her injuries was available last night.
Steventon-based Caretree, where the carer works, declined to comment on the incident.
Comments are closed on this article.