Blind man told by restaurant ‘no guide dogs allowed’

Herald Series: Mike Leader with his guide dog Tudor pictured outside the Wallingford Tandoori                  Picture: OX68602 Cliff Hide Buy this photo Mike Leader with his guide dog Tudor pictured outside the Wallingford Tandoori Picture: OX68602 Cliff Hide

A BLIND man was told to leave an Indian restaurant because he was with his guide dog.

Father-of-two Mike Leader, 60, visited Wallingford Tandoori in High Street last Wednesday with friend Paul Butcher, from Didcot.

But Mr Leader said that as soon as they walked in they were told they could not come in with Mr Leader’s Golden Labrador Retriever Cross guide dog Tudor.

Afterwards Mr Leader, a retired joiner, who lives with partner Janice Surmeli, 59, said he was hurt and embarrassed by the incident.

He said: “I felt shocked and embarrassed to be asked to leave – this has never happened to me in Wallingford before.

“It was obvious I was blind when we walked in, but the man in the restaurant said ‘the only way we can serve you is if you leave your dog outside’.

“I told him the restaurant was breaking the law, but he refused to give me his name.

“We went to the Boat House instead and it was fine there.

“Before I retired as a joiner I fitted the windows in the Tandoori, but I didn’t mention that to them.”

Mr Leader said he was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa when he was in his 20s.

His sight has deteriorated over the years as a result of the progressive condition, and has had a guide dog for the past 18 years.

He added: “I can see a little bit, but not enough to read or recognise anyone.”

After being asked to leave, Mr Leader posted a review on the Trip Advisor website, under the heading “Rather insulting restaurant”.

He said in the review: “Arrived with a friend at the restaurant today and quite bluntly refused entry because I am blind with a guide dog. We tried to explain to the gentleman on the door that he was a genuine guide dog and it would be discriminating against me to refuse to let me access because I am blind and reliant on the dog.

“ I am most dissatisfied with this attitude in a restaurant in my home town.”

Wallingford Tandoori manager Salim Uddin, apologised and said he plans to write to Mr Leader, adding: “My waiter was not aware of the legislation. We will allow guide dogs into the restaurant in future.”

Mrs Surmeli said: “It’s very upsetting for this to happen to Mike, especially in his home town.”

Mr Leader said that he had contacted charity Guide Dogs for the Blind and asked them to look into the incident.

Visual disability charities have said that more needs to be done to educated people on the law.

Hugh Huddy, Royal National Institute for the Blind policy manager, said: “A guide dog is a vital mobility aid and it is against the law to refuse a blind or partially sighted person service in a pub or restaurant because they are a guide dog user.

“Under the Equality Act 2010 employers can be held responsible if their staff unlawfully discriminate against a customer, so at RNIB we recommend that all businesses provide disability awareness training to their employees.

“As well as making sure that they are aware of their legal obligations, well trained staff will be better equipped to understand and meet the needs of their disabled customers.”

The Indian restaurant has an overall rating of four out five stars on Trip Advisor and is rated 18th out of a total of 45 restaurants in the town.


Our top stories:

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:17pm Wed 16 Jul 14

HomerSimpsonDoh says...

If his waiter was not aware of the law, then bad management training, ans for the comment, they will be allowed in the future tells me this is not the first time, however we all know the real reason why he was refused, but are not allowed to comment on here as it would get removed for being racist.
If his waiter was not aware of the law, then bad management training, ans for the comment, they will be allowed in the future tells me this is not the first time, however we all know the real reason why he was refused, but are not allowed to comment on here as it would get removed for being racist. HomerSimpsonDoh
  • Score: 5

4:38pm Wed 16 Jul 14

melyn am byth says...

We all know the real reason why he was refused, but are not allowed to comment on here as it would get removed for being racist.

Right on the money Homer...
We all know the real reason why he was refused, but are not allowed to comment on here as it would get removed for being racist. Right on the money Homer... melyn am byth
  • Score: 9

4:45pm Wed 16 Jul 14

H.J.Harris says...

Not a restaurant I will be going to., hopefully other people will feel the same.
Not a restaurant I will be going to., hopefully other people will feel the same. H.J.Harris
  • Score: 15

5:06pm Wed 16 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.
The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is. The New Private Eye
  • Score: -58

5:26pm Wed 16 Jul 14

sablond oxford says...

The New Private Eye wrote:
The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.
Are you the waiter trying to make yourself look better?! I can't say what your post makes you seem other than narrow minded, as my comment would be removed.

There is no way that you would end up with dog hair in your food unless you patted the dog (clearly you are anti dogs so this wouldn't happen) or you decided to eat your dinner on the floor next to the dog!

You clearly have no idea how much disabled people rely on dogs, lets hope you never have to reply on one as i would feel so sorry for the dog.
[quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.[/p][/quote]Are you the waiter trying to make yourself look better?! I can't say what your post makes you seem other than narrow minded, as my comment would be removed. There is no way that you would end up with dog hair in your food unless you patted the dog (clearly you are anti dogs so this wouldn't happen) or you decided to eat your dinner on the floor next to the dog! You clearly have no idea how much disabled people rely on dogs, lets hope you never have to reply on one as i would feel so sorry for the dog. sablond oxford
  • Score: 37

5:26pm Wed 16 Jul 14

King Joke says...

So what is the real reason he was refused then Homer and and Melyn? It is not racist to point out that muslim restaurateurs do not ordinarily allow dogs in their premises (along with 90% of Christian, Jewish, Zoroastrian, Unitarian, Wiccan, agnositc and atheist restaurateurs), but that the law requires they admit assistance dogs. Why would this be racist?

This incident is down to ignorance of the law, and the gent in question could sue for discrimination.
So what is the real reason he was refused then Homer and and Melyn? It is not racist to point out that muslim restaurateurs do not ordinarily allow dogs in their premises (along with 90% of Christian, Jewish, Zoroastrian, Unitarian, Wiccan, agnositc and atheist restaurateurs), but that the law requires they admit assistance dogs. Why would this be racist? This incident is down to ignorance of the law, and the gent in question could sue for discrimination. King Joke
  • Score: 11

5:36pm Wed 16 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

sablond oxford wrote:
The New Private Eye wrote:
The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.
Are you the waiter trying to make yourself look better?! I can't say what your post makes you seem other than narrow minded, as my comment would be removed.

There is no way that you would end up with dog hair in your food unless you patted the dog (clearly you are anti dogs so this wouldn't happen) or you decided to eat your dinner on the floor next to the dog!

You clearly have no idea how much disabled people rely on dogs, lets hope you never have to reply on one as i would feel so sorry for the dog.
Sorry, (not really) but you are wrong. I recently was on the No 2 to Kidlington when a person with a dog for the visually impaired sat next to me after boarding at the Summertown stop, when I alighted at the stop opposite Sainsbury's my shirt and trousers were covered in dog hair. If any dog sat next to me in a restaurant or pub I would inform the management that I would not pay for my food and drink and leave explaining the reason why. If as you say that dogs are so clean and their hairs will not fly around, why are they banned by law under health and safety regulations from food preparation areas?
[quote][p][bold]sablond oxford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.[/p][/quote]Are you the waiter trying to make yourself look better?! I can't say what your post makes you seem other than narrow minded, as my comment would be removed. There is no way that you would end up with dog hair in your food unless you patted the dog (clearly you are anti dogs so this wouldn't happen) or you decided to eat your dinner on the floor next to the dog! You clearly have no idea how much disabled people rely on dogs, lets hope you never have to reply on one as i would feel so sorry for the dog.[/p][/quote]Sorry, (not really) but you are wrong. I recently was on the No 2 to Kidlington when a person with a dog for the visually impaired sat next to me after boarding at the Summertown stop, when I alighted at the stop opposite Sainsbury's my shirt and trousers were covered in dog hair. If any dog sat next to me in a restaurant or pub I would inform the management that I would not pay for my food and drink and leave explaining the reason why. If as you say that dogs are so clean and their hairs will not fly around, why are they banned by law under health and safety regulations from food preparation areas? The New Private Eye
  • Score: -34

5:52pm Wed 16 Jul 14

tinsel84 says...

Oh dear an ickle wikle bit of hairy wairy on your trousy wousers? What a difficult life you have. Dogs have more right to exist than a lot of humans I can think of, people like you reinforce my view.

This isolated incident involving one member of staff is no reason to advocate potentially destroying a local and family business.
Oh dear an ickle wikle bit of hairy wairy on your trousy wousers? What a difficult life you have. Dogs have more right to exist than a lot of humans I can think of, people like you reinforce my view. This isolated incident involving one member of staff is no reason to advocate potentially destroying a local and family business. tinsel84
  • Score: 21

6:36pm Wed 16 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

tinsel84 wrote:
Oh dear an ickle wikle bit of hairy wairy on your trousy wousers? What a difficult life you have. Dogs have more right to exist than a lot of humans I can think of, people like you reinforce my view.

This isolated incident involving one member of staff is no reason to advocate potentially destroying a local and family business.
Can I congratulate you on your juvenile attempt at sarcasm, it did not work. Those hairs would also be on a diners food. You obviously do not have the intelligence to comprehend the English language judging by your comment. But hey who cares on here, people like you just dish out abuse at those that do not agree with you, with no hope of constructing an intelligent argument.
[quote][p][bold]tinsel84[/bold] wrote: Oh dear an ickle wikle bit of hairy wairy on your trousy wousers? What a difficult life you have. Dogs have more right to exist than a lot of humans I can think of, people like you reinforce my view. This isolated incident involving one member of staff is no reason to advocate potentially destroying a local and family business.[/p][/quote]Can I congratulate you on your juvenile attempt at sarcasm, it did not work. Those hairs would also be on a diners food. You obviously do not have the intelligence to comprehend the English language judging by your comment. But hey who cares on here, people like you just dish out abuse at those that do not agree with you, with no hope of constructing an intelligent argument. The New Private Eye
  • Score: -31

6:45pm Wed 16 Jul 14

tinsel84 says...

The New Private Eye wrote:
tinsel84 wrote:
Oh dear an ickle wikle bit of hairy wairy on your trousy wousers? What a difficult life you have. Dogs have more right to exist than a lot of humans I can think of, people like you reinforce my view.

This isolated incident involving one member of staff is no reason to advocate potentially destroying a local and family business.
Can I congratulate you on your juvenile attempt at sarcasm, it did not work. Those hairs would also be on a diners food. You obviously do not have the intelligence to comprehend the English language judging by your comment. But hey who cares on here, people like you just dish out abuse at those that do not agree with you, with no hope of constructing an intelligent argument.
I'm perfectly able to form an intelligent argument, I'm choosing not to! Why would I waste my brain power on you when I get paid good money for it during the day? Xxx
[quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tinsel84[/bold] wrote: Oh dear an ickle wikle bit of hairy wairy on your trousy wousers? What a difficult life you have. Dogs have more right to exist than a lot of humans I can think of, people like you reinforce my view. This isolated incident involving one member of staff is no reason to advocate potentially destroying a local and family business.[/p][/quote]Can I congratulate you on your juvenile attempt at sarcasm, it did not work. Those hairs would also be on a diners food. You obviously do not have the intelligence to comprehend the English language judging by your comment. But hey who cares on here, people like you just dish out abuse at those that do not agree with you, with no hope of constructing an intelligent argument.[/p][/quote]I'm perfectly able to form an intelligent argument, I'm choosing not to! Why would I waste my brain power on you when I get paid good money for it during the day? Xxx tinsel84
  • Score: 18

7:46pm Wed 16 Jul 14

John Lamb says...

I think these anti-dog comments are just to curry favour with the restaurant owners.
I think these anti-dog comments are just to curry favour with the restaurant owners. John Lamb
  • Score: 13

8:42pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Annon80 says...

The new private eye, I just pray your children, or anyone you love for that matter, does not loose their site and dignity and become dependant on a dog for the simple task of walking down the street and crossing the road, I do believe then a hair in your dinner will be the least of your worries. But hey they say ignorance is bliss.
The new private eye, I just pray your children, or anyone you love for that matter, does not loose their site and dignity and become dependant on a dog for the simple task of walking down the street and crossing the road, I do believe then a hair in your dinner will be the least of your worries. But hey they say ignorance is bliss. Annon80
  • Score: 44

6:29am Thu 17 Jul 14

King Joke says...

Exactly, an exception is made for assistance dogs for a very, very good reason. If you're too selfish to see how this helps people then I feel sorry for you.
Exactly, an exception is made for assistance dogs for a very, very good reason. If you're too selfish to see how this helps people then I feel sorry for you. King Joke
  • Score: 34

10:34am Thu 17 Jul 14

sablond oxford says...

The New Private Eye wrote:
sablond oxford wrote:
The New Private Eye wrote:
The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.
Are you the waiter trying to make yourself look better?! I can't say what your post makes you seem other than narrow minded, as my comment would be removed.

There is no way that you would end up with dog hair in your food unless you patted the dog (clearly you are anti dogs so this wouldn't happen) or you decided to eat your dinner on the floor next to the dog!

You clearly have no idea how much disabled people rely on dogs, lets hope you never have to reply on one as i would feel so sorry for the dog.
Sorry, (not really) but you are wrong. I recently was on the No 2 to Kidlington when a person with a dog for the visually impaired sat next to me after boarding at the Summertown stop, when I alighted at the stop opposite Sainsbury's my shirt and trousers were covered in dog hair. If any dog sat next to me in a restaurant or pub I would inform the management that I would not pay for my food and drink and leave explaining the reason why. If as you say that dogs are so clean and their hairs will not fly around, why are they banned by law under health and safety regulations from food preparation areas?
If the hairs were on your shirt, then i suggest these were actually transferred from the blind owner rather than directly from the dog (unless it jumped all over you which a guide dog would never do), given that it was a guide dog i guessing the owner had other things to concentrate on than not transferring dog hair on to you precious shirt.

Well said tinsel84, annon80 and John Lamb, judging by the scores on the comments more people agree with you than the narrow minded, self centered (so sorry if you class this as an insult but I'm just stating the facts, and by the way I'm not really sorry) New Private Eye. People like you give the human race a bad name.

Oh and annon80, from New Private Eye's attitude i find it hard to believe he would care enough for anyone other than him/herself to have any loved ones.
[quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sablond oxford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.[/p][/quote]Are you the waiter trying to make yourself look better?! I can't say what your post makes you seem other than narrow minded, as my comment would be removed. There is no way that you would end up with dog hair in your food unless you patted the dog (clearly you are anti dogs so this wouldn't happen) or you decided to eat your dinner on the floor next to the dog! You clearly have no idea how much disabled people rely on dogs, lets hope you never have to reply on one as i would feel so sorry for the dog.[/p][/quote]Sorry, (not really) but you are wrong. I recently was on the No 2 to Kidlington when a person with a dog for the visually impaired sat next to me after boarding at the Summertown stop, when I alighted at the stop opposite Sainsbury's my shirt and trousers were covered in dog hair. If any dog sat next to me in a restaurant or pub I would inform the management that I would not pay for my food and drink and leave explaining the reason why. If as you say that dogs are so clean and their hairs will not fly around, why are they banned by law under health and safety regulations from food preparation areas?[/p][/quote]If the hairs were on your shirt, then i suggest these were actually transferred from the blind owner rather than directly from the dog (unless it jumped all over you which a guide dog would never do), given that it was a guide dog i guessing the owner had other things to concentrate on than not transferring dog hair on to you precious shirt. Well said tinsel84, annon80 and John Lamb, judging by the scores on the comments more people agree with you than the narrow minded, self centered (so sorry if you class this as an insult but I'm just stating the facts, and by the way I'm not really sorry) New Private Eye. People like you give the human race a bad name. Oh and annon80, from New Private Eye's attitude i find it hard to believe he would care enough for anyone other than him/herself to have any loved ones. sablond oxford
  • Score: 18

4:07pm Thu 17 Jul 14

cornflake girl says...

The New Private Eye wrote:
The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.
The New Private Eye, you should be ashamed of yourself its a guide dog. pure idiocy your opinion. Wally Herald you should remove this as obviously the guy on the on the door that turned him away trying to cover himself, no right minded person has such ridiculous views almost laughable. Idiot !!!!!
Oh and i wont be eating there again, and i always did with friends family, and none of them will be either EVER, we will be eating at one of the other more friendly and accepting of peoples needs restaurants near the Park.
[quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.[/p][/quote]The New Private Eye, you should be ashamed of yourself its a guide dog. pure idiocy your opinion. Wally Herald you should remove this as obviously the guy on the on the door that turned him away trying to cover himself, no right minded person has such ridiculous views almost laughable. Idiot !!!!! Oh and i wont be eating there again, and i always did with friends family, and none of them will be either EVER, we will be eating at one of the other more friendly and accepting of peoples needs restaurants near the Park. cornflake girl
  • Score: 8

4:09pm Thu 17 Jul 14

chavster says...

melyn am byth wrote:
We all know the real reason why he was refused, but are not allowed to comment on here as it would get removed for being racist.

Right on the money Homer...
I remember an almost identical incident at Tick Tock Café in Oxford (owner Yusuf Kurt).
[quote][p][bold]melyn am byth[/bold] wrote: We all know the real reason why he was refused, but are not allowed to comment on here as it would get removed for being racist. Right on the money Homer...[/p][/quote]I remember an almost identical incident at Tick Tock Café in Oxford (owner Yusuf Kurt). chavster
  • Score: 4

5:29pm Thu 17 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

I will be eating there every night, for two reasons firstly none of you above will be there, and secondly I will enjoy my food without the worry of a dirty creature pooing on the floor next to me, and not having to clear dirty dog hairs from my plate. As I said earlier, but it is a waste of time because the ability to comprehend the English language is above most people these days. He does not need his dirty dog to put the knife and fork in his mouth, the dog is for guidance, hence the term GUIDE DOG. Once he has sat down why does he need his dog until he leaves the eatery? That is a rational question. Does anybody have a rational answer?
I will be eating there every night, for two reasons firstly none of you above will be there, and secondly I will enjoy my food without the worry of a dirty creature pooing on the floor next to me, and not having to clear dirty dog hairs from my plate. As I said earlier, but it is a waste of time because the ability to comprehend the English language is above most people these days. He does not need his dirty dog to put the knife and fork in his mouth, the dog is for guidance, hence the term GUIDE DOG. Once he has sat down why does he need his dog until he leaves the eatery? That is a rational question. Does anybody have a rational answer? The New Private Eye
  • Score: -19

5:33pm Thu 17 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

cornflake girl wrote:
The New Private Eye wrote:
The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.
The New Private Eye, you should be ashamed of yourself its a guide dog. pure idiocy your opinion. Wally Herald you should remove this as obviously the guy on the on the door that turned him away trying to cover himself, no right minded person has such ridiculous views almost laughable. Idiot !!!!!
Oh and i wont be eating there again, and i always did with friends family, and none of them will be either EVER, we will be eating at one of the other more friendly and accepting of peoples needs restaurants near the Park.
Thanks for that, I can now enjoy my meal without some fictitious hormonal cornflake sat next to me. There are too many people commenting on here with multiple ID's. It is just getting silly. Your post seems similar to Floey or Madison, what other name do you post under?
[quote][p][bold]cornflake girl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: The LAW IS AN ****, either dogs are dirty and should not be in food establishments, or they are clean and should be allowed anywhere. I would not want to eat in a restaurant with a dog sat next to me with it's hairs going all over my food. Are dogs for the visually impaired somehow cleaner than other dogs? He could have left the dog outside with a bowl of water and the staff would have assisted him to his table, it is not like the dog puts the knife and fork in his hands and tells him where his food is.[/p][/quote]The New Private Eye, you should be ashamed of yourself its a guide dog. pure idiocy your opinion. Wally Herald you should remove this as obviously the guy on the on the door that turned him away trying to cover himself, no right minded person has such ridiculous views almost laughable. Idiot !!!!! Oh and i wont be eating there again, and i always did with friends family, and none of them will be either EVER, we will be eating at one of the other more friendly and accepting of peoples needs restaurants near the Park.[/p][/quote]Thanks for that, I can now enjoy my meal without some fictitious hormonal cornflake sat next to me. There are too many people commenting on here with multiple ID's. It is just getting silly. Your post seems similar to Floey or Madison, what other name do you post under? The New Private Eye
  • Score: -8

7:47am Fri 18 Jul 14

King Joke says...

The New Private Eye wrote:
I will be eating there every night, for two reasons firstly none of you above will be there, and secondly I will enjoy my food without the worry of a dirty creature pooing on the floor next to me, and not having to clear dirty dog hairs from my plate. As I said earlier, but it is a waste of time because the ability to comprehend the English language is above most people these days. He does not need his dirty dog to put the knife and fork in his mouth, the dog is for guidance, hence the term GUIDE DOG. Once he has sat down why does he need his dog until he leaves the eatery? That is a rational question. Does anybody have a rational answer?
You can't chain a dog up outside a restaurant for 90 min at a time. Quite apart from the fact the man might need the dog to negotiate the interior of the restaurant, it's physically cruel to leave a dog out in hissing rain, cold or baking sun.

THere is also the question of feelings. I wouldn't expect you to understand as you probably don't have them, but most of us do and so do high functioning animals like dogs. Dogs are pack animals and need company. Being chained up outside will give the dog separation anxiety (it's a bit different to leaving it on its favourite blanket at home). Knowing this will give the owner anxiety too. People get very attached to their dogs and v/v, and blind people and assistance dogs are no different.
[quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: I will be eating there every night, for two reasons firstly none of you above will be there, and secondly I will enjoy my food without the worry of a dirty creature pooing on the floor next to me, and not having to clear dirty dog hairs from my plate. As I said earlier, but it is a waste of time because the ability to comprehend the English language is above most people these days. He does not need his dirty dog to put the knife and fork in his mouth, the dog is for guidance, hence the term GUIDE DOG. Once he has sat down why does he need his dog until he leaves the eatery? That is a rational question. Does anybody have a rational answer?[/p][/quote]You can't chain a dog up outside a restaurant for 90 min at a time. Quite apart from the fact the man might need the dog to negotiate the interior of the restaurant, it's physically cruel to leave a dog out in hissing rain, cold or baking sun. THere is also the question of feelings. I wouldn't expect you to understand as you probably don't have them, but most of us do and so do high functioning animals like dogs. Dogs are pack animals and need company. Being chained up outside will give the dog separation anxiety (it's a bit different to leaving it on its favourite blanket at home). Knowing this will give the owner anxiety too. People get very attached to their dogs and v/v, and blind people and assistance dogs are no different. King Joke
  • Score: 11

4:11pm Fri 18 Jul 14

cornflake girl says...

I have no multiple ID but had'nt actually read the comments before, that someone else thought the same and you possible were/ are the waiter so great minds thought alike :)

your out numbered on your opinion, but your entitled to it as i in thinjing that yours is APPALLING enjoy your meals anyway.
I have no multiple ID but had'nt actually read the comments before, that someone else thought the same and you possible were/ are the waiter so great minds thought alike :) your out numbered on your opinion, but your entitled to it as i in thinjing that yours is APPALLING enjoy your meals anyway. cornflake girl
  • Score: 6

4:40pm Fri 18 Jul 14

skcollob says...

Not like the pub/restaurant in Shilton then , when i was in there, there were three dogs in there. The owners of two of them somehow thought it was ok for their dogs to actually beg for food off people eating/drinkng in the pub, and yes there was crisps and nuts etc on the floor which owners had thrown there for their pooches, (the reason why incidents like this in Wallingford tandoori happen) and one woman actually stroking her dog and dropping the dog hair under the table oh, and dog poo in the garden, i might also add that none of these dogs were assistance dogs. I have absolutely NO problem at all with any dog particularly guide dogs etc as they are better trained than other owners and their dogs. this is one pub i will not be going back to nor will i be going to the Wallingford tandoori. as guide dogs are so important and very well trained, its bad dog owners i have no time for.
Not like the pub/restaurant in Shilton then , when i was in there, there were three dogs in there. The owners of two of them somehow thought it was ok for their dogs to actually beg for food off people eating/drinkng in the pub, and yes there was crisps and nuts etc on the floor which owners had thrown there for their pooches, (the reason why incidents like this in Wallingford tandoori happen) and one woman actually stroking her dog and dropping the dog hair under the table oh, and dog poo in the garden, i might also add that none of these dogs were assistance dogs. I have absolutely NO problem at all with any dog particularly guide dogs etc as they are better trained than other owners and their dogs. this is one pub i will not be going back to nor will i be going to the Wallingford tandoori. as guide dogs are so important and very well trained, its bad dog owners i have no time for. skcollob
  • Score: 1

6:49pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Madi50n says...

You haven't yet figured out New Private Eye is just a troll, out to wind people up. Just ignore it & it'll slink back under its bridge.
You haven't yet figured out New Private Eye is just a troll, out to wind people up. Just ignore it & it'll slink back under its bridge. Madi50n
  • Score: 9

8:43pm Fri 18 Jul 14

grandconjuration says...

The New Private Eye...

"People like you give the human race a bad name" said sablond oxford.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
The New Private Eye... "People like you give the human race a bad name" said sablond oxford. I couldn't have put it better myself. grandconjuration
  • Score: 9

2:02am Sat 19 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

Ah well my little experiment worked. A few weeks ago I was the only one on here supporting a disabled gentleman over the refusal to let him on a bus, the rest of you supported able bodied people over him saying he should just wait till another bus came along, and here now I have changed my view and support the able bodied people you have changed your view and support the disabled. There's nowt so queer as folk.
Ah well my little experiment worked. A few weeks ago I was the only one on here supporting a disabled gentleman over the refusal to let him on a bus, the rest of you supported able bodied people over him saying he should just wait till another bus came along, and here now I have changed my view and support the able bodied people you have changed your view and support the disabled. There's nowt so queer as folk. The New Private Eye
  • Score: -8

8:04pm Sat 19 Jul 14

mikegdo says...

With respect to leaving a dog outside, to a visually impaired person this would be akin to asking The New Private Eye to leave his precious car outside a restaurant in a busy street with the ignition keys in the lock. In the ideal world perhaps we could do this but cars and dogs are stolen all the time. The New Private Eye is unfortunate enough to have his car stolen would simply claim on his insurance and happily walk to the nearest bus stop whereas the poor blind guy would be completely left in the dark. Also I am sure that the people who contribute to this worthwhile charity of Guide Dogs would approve of such an irresponsible act of leaving the Guide Dog outside. I rest my case M lud.
With respect to leaving a dog outside, to a visually impaired person this would be akin to asking The New Private Eye to leave his precious car outside a restaurant in a busy street with the ignition keys in the lock. In the ideal world perhaps we could do this but cars and dogs are stolen all the time. The New Private Eye is unfortunate enough to have his car stolen would simply claim on his insurance and happily walk to the nearest bus stop whereas the poor blind guy would be completely left in the dark. Also I am sure that the people who contribute to this worthwhile charity of Guide Dogs would approve of such an irresponsible act of leaving the Guide Dog outside. I rest my case M lud. mikegdo
  • Score: 5

2:40am Sun 20 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

grandconjuration wrote:
The New Private Eye...

"People like you give the human race a bad name" said sablond oxford.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
You really need to get out more, people like Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, Gadaffi, Thatcher etc, give the human race a bad name.
[quote][p][bold]grandconjuration[/bold] wrote: The New Private Eye... "People like you give the human race a bad name" said sablond oxford. I couldn't have put it better myself.[/p][/quote]You really need to get out more, people like Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, Gadaffi, Thatcher etc, give the human race a bad name. The New Private Eye
  • Score: -8

11:07pm Sun 20 Jul 14

sablond oxford says...

The New Private Eye wrote:
grandconjuration wrote:
The New Private Eye...

"People like you give the human race a bad name" said sablond oxford.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
You really need to get out more, people like Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, Gadaffi, Thatcher etc, give the human race a bad name.
must be your idols then!
I think you're the one who needs to get out more and start living in the real world.
The world does not revolve around you, other people have a right to live to the best standard of life that is open to them, if this includes having a dog to help them that is what they should have and not have their disability trivialised by ignorant people like you.
[quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]grandconjuration[/bold] wrote: The New Private Eye... "People like you give the human race a bad name" said sablond oxford. I couldn't have put it better myself.[/p][/quote]You really need to get out more, people like Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, Gadaffi, Thatcher etc, give the human race a bad name.[/p][/quote]must be your idols then! I think you're the one who needs to get out more and start living in the real world. The world does not revolve around you, other people have a right to live to the best standard of life that is open to them, if this includes having a dog to help them that is what they should have and not have their disability trivialised by ignorant people like you. sablond oxford
  • Score: 3

7:01pm Mon 21 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

sablond oxford wrote:
The New Private Eye wrote:
grandconjuration wrote:
The New Private Eye...

"People like you give the human race a bad name" said sablond oxford.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
You really need to get out more, people like Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, Gadaffi, Thatcher etc, give the human race a bad name.
must be your idols then!
I think you're the one who needs to get out more and start living in the real world.
The world does not revolve around you, other people have a right to live to the best standard of life that is open to them, if this includes having a dog to help them that is what they should have and not have their disability trivialised by ignorant people like you.
You obviously did not read my earlier post, and many posts regarding the disabled gentleman who I vigorously supported after he was refused admission onto a stagecoach bus because an able bodied person would not give up the disabled space. So are you attacking me personally, because you did that when I was supporting the disabled?
[quote][p][bold]sablond oxford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]grandconjuration[/bold] wrote: The New Private Eye... "People like you give the human race a bad name" said sablond oxford. I couldn't have put it better myself.[/p][/quote]You really need to get out more, people like Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, Gadaffi, Thatcher etc, give the human race a bad name.[/p][/quote]must be your idols then! I think you're the one who needs to get out more and start living in the real world. The world does not revolve around you, other people have a right to live to the best standard of life that is open to them, if this includes having a dog to help them that is what they should have and not have their disability trivialised by ignorant people like you.[/p][/quote]You obviously did not read my earlier post, and many posts regarding the disabled gentleman who I vigorously supported after he was refused admission onto a stagecoach bus because an able bodied person would not give up the disabled space. So are you attacking me personally, because you did that when I was supporting the disabled? The New Private Eye
  • Score: -2

2:58pm Thu 24 Jul 14

MartinPacker says...

It would be splendid if the restaurant, as well as offering an apology, offered the customer a free meal and actively invited him to bring his guide dog along for it.
It would be splendid if the restaurant, as well as offering an apology, offered the customer a free meal and actively invited him to bring his guide dog along for it. MartinPacker
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree