RUGBY UNION: Alchester come on strong

Alchester captain Dan Kimber lifts the Oxfordshire Shield

Alchester captain Dan Kimber lifts the Oxfordshire Shield

First published in Rugby Herald Series: Photograph of the Author by , Sports reporter specialising in Rugby, Cricket and Athletics. Call me on 01865 425456

Alchester 28, Blue Boar 6

ALCHESTER retained the Oxfordshire Shield with a strong second half display.

Having been pegged back to 8-6 just before half-time, Alchester ran in 20 unanswered points as their greater youth and fitness started to tell.

After a slowish start, Alchester’s backs started to fire, with man-of-the-match Ieuan Robinson catching the eye on several occasions.

Boar showed their intent with two strong scrums and earned a penalty which fly half Giles Blanchard sent just wide on five minutes.

Alchester showed a bit more dynamism in the loose and centre Tom Miles slotted a penalty on 13 minutes.

Much of the play was stop-start, so it seemed strange that Blue Boar passed up a kickable penalty in the 20th minute.

The pub side went for goal soon afterwards, but Blanchard fluffed a simple kick.

Alchester carved out their best chance of the half from a line-out when No 8 Joe McEneaney powered forwards, but flanker Joe Fawcett could not take his off-load.

On 32 minutes, wing Robinson and Miles combined for the latter to score on the left Blanchard made it third time lucky with a far better struck penalty on 39 minutes and slotted a more difficult one on the stroke of half-time.

Miles kicked Alchester further ahead with a 43rd-minute penalty, then was on hand to finish after a good break and looped pass from Robinson.

It was 21-6 on 51 minutes when McEneaney drove off the back of a five-metre scrum and off-loaded for wing Andy Blacklock to dive over.

Blacklock should have had a second, but for a poor pass from full back Robin Tyreman, while fly half Adam Thompson was denied by a forward pass.

Boar went close through a driving maul and scrum half Angus Philip’s dart, but it was game over when Robinson ran in a 61st-minute interception try, converted by Miles.

Boar deserved a try, but were held up on 69 minutes.

The impressive Robinson had another good break, while Boar at least ended the match in Alchester’s half.

Alchester: Tyreman (T Barnes 64), Blacklock, Miles, Coogan, Robinson, Thompson (T Barnes 45-49 & 60-4 [blood]), L Kimber, Brits (Boyce 72), D Kimber (capt), Cooke, G Kimber, Dye, Byrne (Isidro 43), Fawcett, McEneaney. Rep not used: Beckley.

Blue Boar: W Sandbach, C Whitfield (Brufell 41), McHugh, Frei, D Davies, Blanchard (Morgan 55), Phillip, Lay (Tutt 41), Needham, Hobley (capt), Chatterton, Jackson, Alder, Palmer (Spencer 66), Moore. Rep not used: G Whitfield.

Referee: G Williams (Oxfordshire).

Man-of-the-match: Robinson.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree