No hacking action for NotW's Wallis

Herald Series: Neil Wallis, former deputy editor of the News of the World, has spent nearly two years on police bail Neil Wallis, former deputy editor of the News of the World, has spent nearly two years on police bail

The former deputy editor of the News of the World has been told he will face no action over phone-hacking allegations.

Neil Wallis, who has spent nearly two years on police bail, will not face prosecution because there is insufficient evidence.

He said on Twitter: "After 21 months of hell for my family, CPS have just told my solicitors that there will be no prosecution of me re my phone-hacking arrest."

Prosecutors said that there was insufficient evidence to bring charges against a journalist arrested under Operation Weeting.

Wallis was arrested in July 2011 on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept communications.

In a statement, Alison Levitt QC, principal legal adviser to the Director of Public Prosecutions, said prosecutors had been considering whether to bring charges against two journalists over alleged phone hacking.

She said: "The file in relation to one of those two journalists was resubmitted on January 11 2013. Having carefully considered the matter, the Crown Prosecution Service has concluded that there is insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction in relation to that journalist. The other journalist remains under investigation."

So far, 26 people have been arrested as part of Operation Weeting, Scotland Yard's investigation into illegal access to voicemails, and another six as part of a separate line of inquiry that came out of the probe.

Of those, eight are facing charges over alleged phone hacking - ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, former spin doctor Andy Coulson, private detective Glenn Mulcaire and five other former NotW staff. Brooks is also accused along with six other people of perverting the course of justice in relation to Operation Weeting. This is over an alleged conspiracy to withhold material from police.

Mr Wallis became embroiled in the controversy which led to the resignation of then Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson. The country's most senior officer quit in July 2011 after he came under fire for hiring Mr Wallis as a PR consultant before his arrest. The journalist also had close contact with Assistant Commissioner John Yates, who also resigned after criticism of his links to the NotW and the decision not to reopen the inquiry into phone hacking.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree