A BLOCKED chimney led to residents thinking their roof was on fire.

Two engines were sent to Marcham, near Abingdon, this afternoon after receiving reports a house roof was on fire.

Initial investigations were quickly able to determine the smoke was being caused by a blocked chimney.

Station Manager Paul Webster said: “Thankfully this was a false alarm, but it is a good reminder now that the temperatures are dropping that all chimneys and flues need to be regularly cleaned and checked to ensure they’re free from debris and in full working order.

"A blocked or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisonings.

“Chimney fires can cause serious structural damage to a home, with the risks being even greater if the property has a thatched roof. The damage is not only fire based but also the dirt and smell left from all the soot and smoke."