A FAMILY was forced to evacuate their home after a fire broke out in an outhouse.

Firecrews were called to Love Lane, Watlington on Friday after the homeowners reported the blaze at around 7.30pm.

It is believed the fire was started by a faulty appliance.

Nearby residents had managed to suppress the fire using a hosepipe until firefighters arrived and were able to enter the outhouse to extinguish the flames before they could spread to the rest of the house.

Herald Series:

Crew Manager Nathan Morris said; “Quick thinking and swift action from the occupier upon discovery of the fire allowed them to evacuate their family and call 999.

“This incident highlights the importance of cleaning out filters within appliances regularly and avoiding using them while you are asleep or out of the house.

“I’m pleased to say that the occupiers had working smoke detection in the house which would have alerted them to the fire if the smoke would have entered the house.”