A LIT candle left on a windowsill is thought to have been the cause of a flat fire.

A set of curtains went up in flames in Thames View, Abingdon, at 3.22pm on Friday, causing fire and smoke damage.

Crews from Oxford and Abingdon attended the scene and extinguished the fire with hoses, preventing it from developing.

The occupier was not at home at the time of the incident but neighbours were alerted by the sound of fire alarms.

Incident commander Duncan Smith said it was a reminder not to leave candles unattended near soft furnishings.