FIREFIGHTERS rushed to battle a kitchen fire in which a slow cooker had set alight in Wantage.

Crews arrived to find the kitchen filled with smoke after electric cables and slow cooker had been left on top of a camping stove hob.

It happened about 6.40pm on Monday at a home in Three Pigeons Close.

Incident Commander crew manager Stuart McDowall said: "I would like to remind people not to leave cooking unattended and to ensure all appliances are used on a stable and suitable surface in an appropriate location.

"Also, ensure that you have working smoke alarms which in this instance, alerted the homeowner to the fire in good time."