THE FATHER of a 13-year-old boy has paid tribute to his 'charismatic and charming' son as an inquest rules he did not intend to kill himself.

A full inquest into the teenager's death took place at Oxford Coroner's Court today and was attended by his parents, grandfather and older brother.

Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter read out a statement from the St Birinus schoolboy's father Andy Storey, who found the boy hanging in their Chilton home, near Didcot, on March 1.

He had arrived back from work at around 5.05pm and saw the Year 9 pupil on the stairs with his head down, initially thinking he was on his phone, the inquest heard.

He added: "I could not comprehend what I was seeing."

ALSO READ: School community 'shocked and saddened' by pupil's death

Mr Storey performed CPR and emergency services were called but despite doctors managing to get his heart beating again he was pronounced dead at 10.10am on March 4 at the John Radcliffe Hospital.

The cause of his death was recorded as hypoxic ischemic brain injury due to asphyxiation from hanging.

Mr Storey said he and his wife had struggled to understand what had happened, adding they'd had no worries about Harry outside the normal teenage 'ups and downs'.

He said his son was a 'most charismatic and charming boy' who loved sport, especially rugby, cricket and tennis, adding he was an 'outgoing, adventurous' teenager who had 'high expectations' for himself and 'did not always see how successful he was'.

The father also said he may have had a 'sensationalised view' of attempted suicide following seeing an episode of a television show.

ALSO READ: Heartbreaking tribute to murdered PC Andrew Harper from devastated wife

DS Lou Heffernan-Glover, investigating officer, said there was no evidence Harry had planned to kill himself, with no note found or suspicious messages, and there was a 'high likelihood' the teen had not realised how quickly unconsciousness can occur.

From speaking with the 'well-liked' boy's friends, she said he had made 'fleeting comments' about suicide since Year 7 but these were 'quickly brushed off' and did not appear to be serious.

Days before his death he made a similar comment in a Whatsapp message, which followed him not doing as well as he hoped on school exams and finding out a girl he had a crush on was seeing someone else.

Mr Salter, recording a conclusion of death by misadventure, said Harry's was an 'extremely sad case' which 'could not have been predicted or prevented by his family or friends'.

At the end of the inquest Mr Storey read out a statement in which he criticised previous media coverage of his son's death, which he said had added to the family's distress.

If you need to talk to someone, you can call the Samaritans on 116 123.