Firefighters raced to put out a burning shed in Boars Hill as it spread to the the nearby house.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, in a post on social media, said four crews from Abingdon, Rewley Road and Slade Park were called to the blaze, near Oxford, just after 3.30pm on Saturday.

It continued: "Fortunately the occupiers were able to escape safely from the property when the fire was discovered in the shed, after the fire grew rapidly - spreading to the house."

ALSO READ: Man reports his own kidnapping to police

Crews then worked to prevent it spreading through the home's roof space and were eventually able to save the property from major damage throughout, limiting it to one side.

The fire service said crews also worked with the Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks to make the property safe following damage to nearby cabling.

The post said the blaze was believed to be accidental and added it: "demonstrates the importance of ensuring you can safely leave your property to stay safe if a fire is discovered as well as having working smoke alarms to alert you to the earliest signs of smoke."