AN e-cigarette caused a kitchen fire in an Oxfordshire home.

In the early hours of Wednesday morning the device, left charging, damaged the wooden worktop in a property near Chinnor.

ALSO READ: 'Bangs and explosions' heard as fire crews tackle electrical blaze

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said fire engines from Thame Fire Station and High Wycombe Fire Station were sent to reports of a fire.

It added: "The charger and the wooden worktop it was on both suffered a small amount of damage, luckily it did not spread further.

"Please take care with such devices and use to the manufacturer’s instructions."