FIREFIGHTERS have warned of the dangers of leaving 'glass ornaments and mirrors' near windows after a towel caught fire. 

Yesterday afternoon crews from Rewley Road and Slade Road fire stations raced to a house in Kennington after reports of a 'burning smell' in an upstairs room. 

Read more: firefighters help Daisy the Cow after head gets stuck in tree trunk

The crews used a thermal image camera and saw that the mirror had reflected sun rays onto the camping towel in the bedroom.

Taking to Facebook, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "We managed to put it out quickly before it had the chance to spread.

"We need you to be aware that glass ornaments, bottles, mirrors and the like near window ledges and sunlight can reflect enough heat to start a fire."