People are being urged to check their tumble dryer isn't a fire hazard after one went up in flames in an Oxfordshire home.

On Sunday morning firefighters were called to the property, near Steventon.

Crews from Didcot and Abingdon fire stations attended.

ALSO READ: How Oxford's coronavirus spike compares to the rest of England

A post by Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service showing the burnt remains of the tumble dryer was shared on Facebook.

It said: "When we got there, we were faced with a fire in the kitchen and smoke logging through the house.

Herald Series: Tumble dryer. Picture: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue ServiceTumble dryer. Picture: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service

"The family managed to escape as they had working smoke alarms."

It added: "Wearing breathing apparatus crews were able to safely enter the property and put the fire out with our hoses.

"Can we ask you to check your tumble dryer against a recall notice here"

ALSO READ: Teacher keeps donating her coronavirus-fighting blood

In December 2019, Whirlpool UK Appliances Ltd identified up to 500,000 Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines to be recalled and replaced in the UK.