A WOMAN who tore the skin from her victim's nose with her teeth in a drink-fuelled fight has been spared jail.

Just moments before the shocking explosion of violence the victim was also bitten in the chest, and has since been left scared for life due to her injuries.

Freya Townsend Lewis had already admitted one count of inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent.

Read also: Four parents hauled up in court for not making their kids go to school

The 22-year-old of Northfield Close, Oxford, was sentenced for the single offence at Oxford Crown Court yesterday.

Outlining the case prosecutor Christopher Pembridge said Townsend Lewis was at the woman's home in Abingdon, together with a group of others, on January 31 this year.

At about 1am Townsend Lewis, who had been drinking, 'became more erratic, crying and becoming emotional'.

She then became 'verbally abusive' and attempts were made to calm her down.

A fight broke out involving Townsend Lewis and her eventual victim, and during the violence she 'bit' the woman's chest.

The pair were separated and the victim was taken to the kitchen but the violence continued and Townsend Lewis returned for her.

Townsend Lewis then grabbed her victim's hair and pulled her down by it.

As the fight continued she 'bit the area of her nose resulting in the removal of skin and a significant amount of blood'.

During interview Townsend Lewis said she could remember little of the night of violence.

In a victim personal statement the woman said she felt 'horrible' and 'like a freak show'.

Read also: Scales of Justice: Latest court results for Oxfordshire

She said she had been struggling since the violence and felt 'physically and emotionally exhausted'.

The court went on hear that Townsend Lewis has no other previous convictions for any other offences.

In mitigation Rhianna Fricker said her client was at the 'height of her depression' when she carried out the attack.

She said the incident was 'totally out of character' and described it as someone having an 'emotional breakdown'.

She went on to say that Townsend Lewis had previously suffered from postnatal depression and was currently pregnant with another child.

Sentencing, Judge Nigel Daly said: "You are here because you bit a young woman in the face.

"You bit her very hard in the face, having already bitten her in the chest.

"You will no doubt have seen the injuries that you caused, they are in my judgement particularly serious.

"A young woman is going to be scared for life.

"Biting somebody is the equivalent of using a weapon."

He handed Townsend Lewis a 16-month sentence but suspended it for 18 months.

She must also complete 25 days of rehabilitation activity and pay a victim surcharge.