A MAN has been jailed for killing a man with ‘one punch’ at Redbridge Hollow.

John Francis Joyce, aged 31, who lives at the Oxford travellers' site, was originally charged with murder after 33-year-old Anthony Joyce was found dead on the morning of June 27.

Police and paramedics raced to the property, which is just off Abingdon Road, at 11.30am after he was found unresponsive.

Read more: four women arrested after giant sack of meat found in car 

A post-mortem revealed that he died of a serious head injury.

After an investigation, which police have said was ‘harrowing’ for the family, it came to light that the pair had a fight in the early hours of the morning.

Joyce was arrested on June 29 and charged the next day with murder.

But in a hearing today at Oxford Crown Court, Joyce admitted an alternative count of manslaughter.

The prosecution accepted the plea and he was jailed for four years and eight months.  

Read more: latest coronavirus cases for Oxfordshire 

Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Bosley, of Thames Valley Police’s Major Crime Unit, said: “This was a needless and tragic incident which has resulted in the death of a young man with his life ahead of him.

“The reasons for the initial altercation between members of the same wider family, may never truly be known, but what is certain, is that the injuries Anthony sustained resulted in his death.

“This sad case highlights starkly the dangers of ‘one-punch’ incidents, which can lead to serious injuries, or sadly in this case, death.

Read more: why is Oxfordshire in Tier 2? 

“I would like to thank Anthony Joyce’s family and friends for their patience while we investigated this case. They have had to endure a harrowing time while we investigated, and no family deserve to suffer this sort of ordeal.

“We now have a conviction in relation to Anthony’s death, and I am satisfied that justice has been served and that John Francis Joyce has admitted responsibility.

“Our thoughts remain with Anthony’s family and friends following this needless and tragic incident, and I hope that, in time, they can take some solace in knowing that the person responsible for his death has accepted this and will serve a custodial sentence as a result.”