A WOMAN escaped a fire at her home, which started after she left food on the hob unattended.

Firefighters from Abingdon and Slade Park stations rushed to the incident, which took place on Tuesday afternoon in the village of Berinsfield.

ALSO READ: Students win battle against estate agency over bedroom

The resident was not injured as she was quickly warned of the blaze after her alarm went off.

A spokesperson for Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Services commented on the case: "The incident also highlights how effective a closed door can be at preventing fire spread through a building as damage was largely limited to the room of origin."

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on news@nqo.com or 01865 425 445.