A MAN who threatened to burn down a house and kill a dog has been jailed for more than two years.

David Claridge, 38, of Reading Road, Upton, Didcot, pleaded guilty to one count of coercive control at Reading Crown Court.

A 15-year restraining order was also put in place with conditions not to contact the victim, or enter the town she lives in or be within 50 metres of the victim.

On May 20 last year, officers attended an address in Newbury, Berkshire to reports of a incident in which the female victim reported she was subjected to a common assault and a threat to cause criminal damage was made.

The victim disclosed she had been abused by Claridge for period of about eight years, which included being stabbed with a pen, headbutted and other assaults.

Claridge made her take photos while she was shopping to prove where she was, and he also took food and money from the victim.

He also threatened the victim’s mum as a way to control her, saying he would burn down the mum’s house and kill her dog if the victim did not do what he said.

Claridge was sentenced to two years and three months’ imprisonment.

Investigating officer, PC Niamh Meaney, based at Newbury police station, said: “The victim in this case, as well as her children, had their lives controlled in every conceivable way.

“Claridge had violent mood swings and displayed controlling and cowardly behaviour in order to control his victim.

“I would like to pay tribute to the victim in this case for speaking out against her abuser and I hope that the custodial sentence and restraining order placed on Claridge, helps her to move on with her life, without fear.

“Domestic abuse and coercive control are not acceptable in any circumstances, and we would say to victims to please report so that we can investigate and bring offenders to justice.

“If you are being abused or controlled by someone, please find a way to call us on 101 or if you are in immediate danger, please call 999.

“You can also report online through our website.

“You can also contact Crimestoppers and Victims First.

“There’s further details on how you can report to these organisations on the Police and Crime Commissioner website.”