CHINNOR were their own worst enemy as Sale claimed a bonus point victory at Kingsey Road.

The Thame-based side suffered their sixth defeat in eight National League 1 matches as they lost 37-18 in blustery conditions.

Sale deserved their victory, defended superbly, and punished Chinnor mistakes, with three of their six tries scored off the back of charged down kicks.

Nick Smith and Kieran Wilkinson traded early penalties, before Sale scored the first try of the game.

An attempted chip kick fell into the visitors’ hands and Callum Morris countered, running in for a converted score from 50m.

Chinnor cut the lead to two points when Jason Worrall dived over out wide, but quickfire scores from Mark Dixon and Nev Edwards made it 20-8 after 28 minutes.

READ ALSO: Teenager Jayden Carbon hits first goal in defeat for Oxford City

Again, the hosts responded with Worrall finishing off a fine backs move, but Sale secured the four-try bonus point before half-time when Edwards crossed for his second.

There was only 12 points in it, but a hammer blow was dealt on 52 minutes.

Chinnor gathered a kick over the top, but their attempted clearance was charged down and Morris pounced on the loose ball to touch down.

The hosts dug in and looked to get something out of the game.

Smith’s break through the middle of the pitch resulted in Worrall’s hat-trick and gave Chinnor a sniff of a four-try bonus point late on.

But Sale had the final word and Oskar Hirskyj-Douglas touched down to finish the scoring.

Henley Hawks lost 15-6 in their top of the table clash at home to Blackheath, in National 2 East.

Blackheath grabbed two first half tries, but Hawks pressure told and a Max Titchener penalty got the home side on the scoreboard.

The London side extended their lead though when Jake Lloyd crossed in the corner, to give the visitors a 12-3 advantage.

SEE ALSO: North Leigh beaten in dramatic FA Trophy tie + results round-up

Titchener kicked the resulting penalty to reduce the deficit to 12-6 at the break.

The game became scrappy in the second half, and when Henley were caught offside in midfield, Tom Ffitch kicked a penalty for the visitors, the only score of the half.

Oxford Quins returned to winning ways with a 22-19 win at Sutton & Epsom. Banbury were beaten 34-24 at home to London Welsh.

Witney, second in Regional 2 Tribute South Central, were thrashed 42-5 at leaders Marlborough. Grove were beaten 61-3 at Swindon.

Chinnor III continued their 100 per cent start in in Counties 1 Tribute Southern North, with a 34-31 win at Gosford All Blacks.

Bicester won 25-17 at Milton Keynes, while Wallingford lost 28-24 at Swindon College Old Boys.