ONE YEAR after a hit and run driver left him having to relearn how to walk, Steven Wanna says he is a 'man with a plan to get better'.

The Cowley student was left for dead after being struck by a car as he was walking along a road towards Oxford in the early hours of his birthday on February 14, 2017.

The 21-year-old was found by his friends lying unconscious in the middle of the A4074 between the Golden Balls and Berinsfield roundabouts, near Nuneham Courtenay.

Herald Series:

Mr Wanna in hospital after the horrific crash 

Twelve months on and no arrests have been made but Mr Wanna is slowly recovering from a catalogue of horrific injuries.

These included a fractured skull, a brain haemorrhage, a fractured eye socket and nose, as well as his face being split open.

He also suffered a fractured hip, a broken left leg and broken toes on his right foot in the Valentine's Day hit and run.

After being kept in a coma for three months to allow his body to heal, he has spent the last eight months in rehabilitation, much of it confined to a wheelchair, though he is now able to walk with a frame.

His mother Sandy Mar said: "It is heart-breaking because he used to be such an active and sporty boy, always playing football and tennis. He will never be the way he was but I want him to be able to walk without a frame and have the surgery to fix his nose - he was so handsome and knows he looks different now."

She added: "I try to be positive like him, he tells me 'I'm a man with a plan to get better mum'."

Herald Series:

The former Abingdon and Witney college student had been studying business management but can no longer remember starting college and struggles with his short term memory.

He has also lost his sense of smell because his nose is still broken and he is awaiting facial reconstruction surgery.

The mother-of-two, who will host family and friends for a birthday celebration for her son today, said: "I have such mixed emotions about what happened. There's joy and sorrow - joy that Steven is alive but sorrow that he was left like that by a reckless driver.

"I've lost the old Steven, he's having to relearn everything.”

She added she has not given up on catching the person responsible for her son's injuries and would be sharing #justice4steven on social media to try to keep attention on the case.

Senior investigating officer Richard Thorpe, Serious Collision Investigation Unit investigations manager, said: “We are continuing to investigate a collision at just after midnight on February 14, 2017 in which Steven Wanna, then aged 20, was found on the A4074 at Nuneham Courtenay, Oxfordshire, with serious injuries.

"He has had to undergo a substantial amount of medical treatment since. One year on from this serious collision we are continuing to appeal for anyone who was in the area at the time and who may have noticed anything unusual in the road to contact us.

"Unfortunately we have no new lines of enquiry so any details the public is able to provide could be that vital piece of information which could assist our investigation.”

Anyone with any information should call 101.