THE ambulance service has revealed it sent a total of six vehicles to the scene after a police car crashed into two others near Wallingford this week.

Two police officers and a taxi driver were taken to hospital with serious injuries following the crash on Tuesday morning on the A4130 at Benson.

The incident has now been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

The police car was responding to an emergency when it smashed into the taxi and then a second vehicle on the A4130, Crowmarsh Hill, at around 11.40am. 

An independent investigation into the incident has been launched by the IPCC following a mandatory referral. 

Heavy traffic was reported between Crowmarsh Gifford and Nuffield due to the accident at Crowmarsh roundabout.

South Central Ambulance Service confirmed today that it was called at 11.43am to reports that three occupants in two of the vehicles involved (a taxi and a police car) were trapped with serious injuries.

Operators sent three ambulances, a paramedic team leader in a rapid response vehicle, and two Thames Valley Air Ambulance emergency response vehicles.

Paramedic team leader Darren Weston, who co-ordinated SCAS’ response at the scene said: "Thanks to excellent joint working from our staff alongside colleagues from Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service, the Thames Valley Air Ambulance and officers from Thames Valley Police, the complex task of getting the three patients out of the two vehicles was accomplished with great care and professionalism.

"After initial treatment, they were then all taken by road to the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, in a serious but stable condition with the air ambulance doctors and paramedics travelling in the ambulances with the patients.

"On behalf of everyone at the scene, I would like to convey our best wishes to all those taken to hospital and their families. We wish them well in their recovery.”

He also revealed that a driver from the third vehicle involved was treated and discharged at the scene for minor injuries.