OXFORD United were hit by a bodyblow as Morecambe scored with just seconds remaining to claim a share of the points in the Good Friday fixture.

Substitute Jack Redshaw headed in from a corner to level the scores and hammer in what is likely to be the final nail in the U's already remote hopes of making the play-offs.

It had looked as though an outrageous piece of skill from Alfie Potter had won the game for United.

The winger spun his man superbly in the box and smashed in his ninth goal of the season on the hour.

But crucially the hosts could not add to their lead, as problems with finishing chances yet again came back to haunt them.

It allowed Morecambe, whose attacking threat had been nominal all afternoon, hope - and Redshaw made the most of his opportunity.

U's boss Chris Wilder named an unchanged side from the XI which started last weekend's 1-0 defeat at Northampton.

Jon-Paul Pittman made the squad for the first time in four months and he was joined on the bench by teenager Callum O'Dowda.

Deane Smalley (hamstring) and Michael Duberry (illness) made way.

The hosts have made a good habit out of starting games strongly without making the most of it and they did so again.

Less than four minutes were on the clock when a glorious chances came their way.

Tom Craddock won the ball and released Sean Rigg as Morecambe's defence was split open.

United had three attackers facing one defender as Rigg ran into the box, but instead of shooting the winger tried a far riskier cross to James Constable.

The ball evaded the striker and ran loose, as Wilder held his head on the touchline.

Morecambe looked ponderous at the back and for the opening 15 minutes it was one-way traffic as United poured forward.

The visitors were carved open by a superb through ball from Davis put Craddock away.

A left-footed lob over the advancing Barry Roche looked an option, but he turned it down to cut on to his stronger right-foot and curled a shot just wide.

The lively Potter had two dangerous crosses just cut out, while Craddock fired over on the turn from a Davis centre.

But the bright start gradually fizzled out, as Morecambe got to grips with the game, without offering much going forward.

Their first effort came on 20 minutes, when Andrew Wright tried to catch Luke McCormick off guard with a quickly-taken free-kick from 45 yards.

The United goalkeeper was alert to the danger and watched it float wide.

Apart from a header which Potter glanced wide from Batt's cross on the half hour, there was little to get excited about, At one stage some home fans, with tongues firmly in their cheeks, were cheering every successful pass from United.

Morecambe did have one good opportunity, seven minutes before the break.

Gary McDonald rose to head a corner goalwards, which Scott Davies had to clear off the line.

United's front four were much more fluid after the break, with Potter and Rigg rotating positions with Constable and Craddock.

The switch had little impact to begin with as the game meandered aimlessly.

A moment of magic was needed to break the deadlock and it duly arrived from Potter on the hour.

Receiving the ball in the box with his back to goal, the winger produced a fantastic piece of skill to turn his man, before firing a shot which Roche could only palm into the net.

The relief was palpable and Rigg came close to quickly doubling the lead, bending in a shot which the Morecambe goalkeeper turned round the post.

Confidence began to return and United looked dangerous once more, as Morecambe battled to stay in the game.

Batt came close to a spectacular goal with a shot which swerved viciously just over the bar.

At 1-0 Morecambe were still in the game and McCormick was worried by a Kevin Ellison drive which flew just over the crossbar ten minutes from time.

Despite the warning it looked like United had done enough to claim all three points, but in the final minute of stoppage time Morecambe provided a sting in the tail.

Even Roche came up for a corner, which was their last throw of the dice, and it was met by Redshaw to head in an equaliser.

It was a massive blow for United, who had no time to make amends and the full-time whistle blew within seconds of the kick-off.