OXFORD United's winless run was extended to four games as Jeff Goulding's late header earned relegation-threatened Aldershot Town all three points.

The U's were sluggish for an hour and the home side took advantage to build a two-goal cushion.

Paul McCallum scored a disputed opening goal from close range on 13 minutes and Craig Reid doubled the lead with a penalty early in the second half.

United offered little until they found a way back into the game thanks to Scott Davies' free-kick.

Michael Raynes was dismissed for two bookable offences, but substitute Jon-Paul Pittman equalised with great aplomb five minutes from time.

It looked to have salvaged a point, but Aldershot struck a winner with their next attack when Goulding nodded in.

Simon Heslop replaced James Constable in the only change to the XI from the 1-1 draw with Morecambe on Good Friday.

There was also a switch in formation from 4-4-2, with Alfie Potter playing in behind Tom Craddock in a 4-4-1-1 system.

The United line-up lasted just nine minutes before a change was enforced on the visitors.

Sean Rigg picked up an early knock and despite trying to run it off the winger came off for Luke O'Brien.

Liam Davis had the game's first effort, set up by a raking pass from Scott Davies.

The full back beat two men before curling a shot with his weaker right foot past the far post.

Aldershot responded and went ahead with their first serious effort on goal, in the 13th minute.

Reid fired low across the six-yard box, where McCallum bundled it goalwards.

Damian Batt ran back to clear and referee Brendan Malone initially waved play on, before giving the goal after consulting with his assistant, Alexandra Ihringova.

United protested in vain, but came close to an equaliser within seconds.

Davis whipped in a cross which Athony Tonkin, one of three former U's players in the Shots' starting line-up, headed just over his own crossbar.

It was a rare moment of attacking promise from the visitors in the first half.

There was little cohesion when United were in possession, with a host of passes going astray between teammates on different wavelengths.

By contrast Aldershot, who were desperate for points in their fight against relegation, were far more fluent.

Midway through the half Peter Vincenti almost scored a spectacular goal, brushing past three challenges before seeing his shot blocked by Luke McCormick.

Asa Hall had a chance to score against his former employers, catching a volley sweetly which deflected wide off Jake Wright.

United did have cause to feel hard done by just after the half hour mark when Craddock was played through on goal by Potter.

The flag went up for offside, but it looked harsh and the passionate reaction from the United bench told its own story.

Regardless of the decision it did not disguise a first half display where the visitors had been distinctly second best.

U's boss Chris Wilder responded by bringing on Constable for Heslop at the break.

But before the change had time to make any impact Aldershot extended their lead.

Davis got caught out by a through ball and ended up tripping Adam Mekki in the box.

Reid stepped up and sent McCormick the wrong way to make it 2-0, but was booked before play restarted for his role in the celebrations.

The game was briefly bad tempered and Raynes' name was quickly added to the referee's notebook for a lunge on Mekki.

United looked a beaten side, but gained a foothold in the game with their first effort on target, in the 66th minute.

Jon-Paul Pittman, on as a substitute for O'Brien, was fouled on the edge of the box and Davies drilled in a low shot which Ross Worner failed to keep out.

The goal injected some tension in the home side for the first time all afternoon.

Pittman added some urgency for the visitors, but their hopes of getting back on level terms were undermined 13 minutes from time.

Raynes was caught holding Vincenti on the halfway line and the referee had no hesitation in handing the defender a second booking.

It appeared to take the sting out of the game, but United hit back to equalise in the 85th minute.

Davis picked out Pittman, who showed great composure to control the ball under pressure and lash into the top corner.

But United's joy lasted less than two minutes, when Goulding leapt to flick in Danny Rose's free-kick.

The Shots held on to claim a big win in their fight to stay up, while United's poor form continued.