ALFIE Potter ended Oxford United's six-game wait for a win by claiming the only goal of the game against Dagenham & Redbridge.

The winger blasted home his tenth goal of the season late in a scrappy first half.

United should have made the result safe midway through the second half, but Sean Rigg somehow missed from close range.

Fortunately it did not prove costly, as teenage goalkeeper Max Crocombe kept a clean sheet to ensure a hard-earned victory for the visitors.

Crocombe's name was the main surprise on the team sheet, coming in for only his second senior start in place of Luke McCormick in one of four changes to the United line-up.

Luke O'Brien, Josh Parker and Deane Smalley also came into the side, replacing injured pair James Constable and Jon-Paul Pittman, while Tom Craddock was dropped.

The game took a long time to spark into life, with a lack of quality in possession from both sides.

Dagenham, still not safe from relegation, showed signs of nerves, while United were low on confidence following a five-game winless run.

The visitors lined up 4-4-1-1 and although Smalley won the majority of his aerial battles in the opening half hour, he was often isolated.

It took 17 minutes for either side to muster a meaningful effort on goal.

When Toni Silva's shot was blocked the ball fell to Luke Howell, who lashed a shot well wide.

Crocombe's opposite number, Jordan Seabright, was also a teenager making only his second senior start.

His only exertion in the first 35 minutes was to hold on to a skidding shot from Liam Davis.

United were let off the hook on the half hour mark, when Scott Davies gave the ball away cheaply, but Jake Reed dragged a shot wide.

Andy Whing came close to the opening goal when his firm header from a Davis corner bounced narrowly wide.

But with the next attack, five minutes before the break, the visitors opened the scoring.

It owed much to a defensive error from Oluwafemi Ilesanmi, who failed to deal with a high cross from Davis.

The ball fell loose to Potter, who slammed in a shot from ten yards.

It gave United their first half time lead for 12 games and they needed to weather some early pressure from a fired-up Daggers side when the game restarted.

Crocombe had to deal with several threatening corners and although there were some nervous moments, the young keeper preserved his clean sheet.

United went on to re-establish themselves at the other end around the hour mark.

They should have doubled the lead 20 minutes into the half following more good work from Potter.

The winger's low cross found Rigg totally unmarked at the back post, but astonishingly he missed the target from a yard out with his first touch.

It was an awful miss and proved to be United's final good chance of the game.

Smalley continued to impress and hold the ball up well, but United could not take advantage.

Instead they looked to protect their lead, against a Dagenham side which struggled to create chances.

Their only good sight of Crocombe's goal in open play came via a deflection two minutes from time.

Howell's shot landed fortuitously to Mo Sharif, who blasted over when he should have done better.

United ran the clock down professionally after that let-off and saw out the game to claim a very welcome three points.

Oxford Utd: Crocombe, Batt, Duberry, Wright, O'Brien (Rigg 64), Parker (Heslop 59), Whing, Davies, Davis, Potter, Smalley (Raynes 88).

Unused subs: McCormick, Long, Roberts, O'Dowda.

Dagenham: Seabright, Ogogo, Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi, Maher, Silva (Sharif 59), Howell, Saunders (Dennis ht) Elito (Strevens 79), Reed.

Unused subs: Miles, Hoyte, Fortune, Bingham.

Attendance: 1,788 (369 visitors).

Referee: Darren Deadman.