JORDAN Gill scored a hat-trick of tries as Oxford RL claimed a comeback landmark 35-28 win over York City Knights at Tilsley Park.

It is almost three years since the Blues last beat a team from the sport’s traditional heartland, in Kingstone Press League 1 – and that was also against York.

The hosts made a disastrous start with York’s Harry Carter racing the length of the field to open the scoring after just 28 seconds.

They scored again a few minutes later through Hull FC loanee Nick Rawsthorne. Harry Tyson-Wilson added one conversion.

But Oxford turned it around with two quick tries of their own.

First, Gill scored down the right after a good passing move.

Then after a York attack ended with a fumble near the line, Max Jowitt broke away for a try. Both were converted by Jowitt to give the hosts a 12-10 lead.

Tries seemed to come in pairs at this stage, with York scoring through Jonny Presley and Brad Hey, Tyson-Wilson converting one to put them 22-12 ahead.

Oxford fought back with Gill’s second try – converted by Jowitt – after a chip-kick from Callum Windley.

That narrowed the gap to four points, but in the last minute of the half, hooker Will Jubb burrowed over near the posts for York.

The hooter went after Tyson-Wilson’s conversion, with York leading 28-18.

In the second half, the visitors failed to score against a brilliant defensive display from the hosts, who held them up three times over the try-line.

A clever try by Marcus Brooker brought Oxford back into the game.

They drew level after failing to find touch with a penalty. Incredibly the speedy Gill gathered and forced his way over for his hat-trick try. Jowitt converted to level the scores.

With York’s Ed Smith in the sin-bin, Oxford took the lead with Windley’s 30-metre drop goal.

They sealed the win when Siddons burst through for a try which Jowitt converted.

Oxford: Jowitt, Atkinson, Riley, Macdonald, Gill, Windley, Fleming, Biscomb, Canterbury, McRae, Burnett, Cooke, Crowther. Reps: Moules, Brooker, Siddons, Cox.