BANBURY maintained their 100 per cent record at the top of South West 1 East thanks to a brilliant second-half display at home to Grove.

At half-time, the Bulls led only 18-6 against their dogged visitors, but they stormed home 65-13, thanks to a brace of tries each from wingers George Grieve and Dan Brady, as they picked up their fourth bonus point victory in a row.

Grove took an early lead with a long-range penalty from James Monk, but Banbury replied with tries in the corner from Angus Johnson, Grieve and Brady.

Ed Phillips, who missed all three conversions, completed their first half-tally with a penalty, while Monks added a second penalty for the visitors.

Despite having Jimmy Manley sin-binned, Banbury increased their lead early in the second half, when Joe Mills went over in the corner. Mills, who took over the kicking duties after Phillips went off injured, missed his first conversion attempt.

Grove refused to lie down and piled on the pressure, being rewarded when strong-running centre Monks smashed his way over for a try, which he converted.

At 23-13, the game was up for grabs, but Banbury took charge after Grove’s Guy Nichol was sin-binned.

In his ten-minute absence, Banbury scored four tries and the floodgates stayed open until the end of the game.

Their further tries came from Kallum Dixey, Grieve, Brady, Jacob Mills, Sam Stoop and Matt Goode, all of which were converted by Joe Mills to give them a flattering margin of victory.

Witney recorded their first victory with a nail-biting

21-17 victory at home to basement club Royal Wootton Bassett.

They led 11-0 after 28 minutes thanks to a try by Matthew Webb from a line-out maul, plus two penalties from George Lewis.

The yellow card received by their hooker Phil Barwell seemed to fire up the visitors, who responded with a try from centre Tim Gallimore converted by Dave Hogg to make 11-7 at the break.

Wootton took the lead early in the second half with an unconverted try by Hogg, but Lewis put Witney 14-12 in front with a penalty.

Bardwell went over for a try in the corner on the hour to give Wootton a 17-14 lead.

The key moment came when Witney won a heel against the head and their forwards turned on the power to force a penalty try, which Lewis converted.

It was a miserable day to Oxford Harlequins, who crashed 62-13 at Salisbury.

After a delayed start, Quins trailed 29-6 at half-time, Sam Watkinson landing two penalties.

In the second half, Quins, who were hit by injury, conceded another five tries – making it nine in all – while their only points came from a penalty try which Watkinson converted.

Bicester fared no better, losing 57-7 at home to Chippenham, their only points coming from a try by No 8 Wesley Westaway, converted by Charlie Bethell.