NORTH Leigh secured a tense victory over Barton Rovers on Saturday to move out of the Division 1 Central drop zone.

Henry Landers scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot midway through the second half.

The victory saw the Millers – who looked doomed to relegation at the start of the month – out of the bottom two.

They are now a point ahead of Dunstable Town and one behind Kidlington with two games of the season remaining.

They could even secure their safety this afternoon if they win at Kempston Rovers and Dunstable are beaten at home by Welwyn Garden City.

Landers, crucial to North Leigh’s revival, coolly slotted home from 12 yards just before the hour-mark after Noah Alabi was fouled in the area.

Kidlington, who travel to Thame United today, lost 2-0 at home to Peterborough Sports, who secured the title.

Mark Jones gave the high-fliers a 34th-minute lead, before victory was sealed when Abduramane Sand-Sali scored nine minutes from time.

The fight for a play-off spot will go to the wire with both Didcot Town and Thame United seeing their hopes dented by defeats.

Didcot, who started the day in the top five, conceded two injury time goals to lose 2-0 at Cambridge City.

That saw them replaced in the play-off places by Sutton Coldfield, who the Railwaymen host this afternoon.

With Didcot looking like they had done enough to clinch a draw, they were hit by two sucker punches late on.

Adam Watkins fired home to give the hosts the lead in the 91st-minute, and then less than 60 seconds later Ryan Sharman doubled their lead.

Andy Ballard’s side must win today to keep their fate in their own hands.

Thame blew their chance to close in on the top five when they were beaten 2-1 away to Yaxley – a late winner proving to be their downfall.

Trailing to a first-half Charley Sanders strike, Thame levelled on 57 minutes when Matt Peake-Pijnen found the net.

However, with just four minutes remaining, Ross Watson scored for the hosts to snatch victory.

  • BANBURY United drew 1-1 at home to Bedworth United in the Premier Division Central.

Alexander Troke fired the visitors into a 17th-minute lead.

But Banbury secured a share of the spoils through Ravi Shamsi’s goal four minutes before half-time.