BANBURY United picked up a first win of the season in Premier Central of the BetVictor Southern League on Saturday.

However, Oxfordshire teams made a dismal start to the Division 1 Central campaign, with all five losing their opening games.

Banbury had drawn their first two games, but collected a welcome three points with a 2-0 victory over Royston Town, who ended the game with nine men.

Mike Ford’s side made a flying start, John Mills slotting home from Ricky Johnson’s pass after just 70 seconds.

The visitors, rocked by the goal, were reduced to ten men after 15 minutes when a bad, late tackle from Harold Joseph saw him shown a straight red card.

Royston were forced to play the final 11 minutes with nine men when Ed Asafu-Adjaye kicked out and was also dismissed.

Banbury made the points safe in the sixth minute of stoppage time when Johnson fired home.

Wantage Town’s first game back in the Southern League began well when Jack Buchanan fired them ahead at Welwyn Garden City in Division 1 Central.

Jack Dunmall’s ball set the striker clear, and he slotted through the legs of goalkeeper Connor Sansom.

However, the hosts hit back with goals from George Ironton 16 minutes from time before Eusebio Da Silva sank Wantage with a 90th-minute winner.

Didcot Town lost 1-0 at Kempston Rovers, the only goal of the game coming in the fifth minute courtesy of Jake Newman.

Despite dominating for the majority of the match, Jamie Heapy’s side were unable to find an equaliser.

North Leigh slipped to a 2-1 home defeat against Berkhamsted.

Lewis Toomey fired the visitors into a second-minute lead, and Jonathan Lacey doubled the advantage 90 seconds after half-time.

The Millers reduced the deficit when George Seacole scored on 55 minutes, reacting first after Josh Dutton-Black’s rebounded to him.

However, despite pushing forward in the search for a leveller, they were unable to find the net.

Thame United were beaten 2-1 at Bedford Town.

They trailed to Daniel Walker’s 28th-minute goal, but were level at the break thanks to Duran Martin’s superb header seven minutes before the interval.

Howver, Tre Mitford won it for the home side six minutes from time.

Kidlington made it a clean sweep of defeats for Oxfordshire sides when they were beaten 1-0 by a

90th-minute Taylor Orosz strike in their home game against Daventry Town.

Their bid was not helped when Jacob Blackstock was shown a second yellow card 15 minutes from time, and the away side took advantage of their man advantage to snatch a dramatic winner.