OXFORD United pulled off one final memorable cup tie for this season, but Newcastle United narrowly edged through after a dramatic night.

Allan Saint-Maximin spared the blushes for Steve Bruce’s side with a goal four minutes from the end of normal time.

It finally killed off a home side who had come from 2-0 down with six minutes left to keep the tie alive.

It stunned the Premier League side had looked to be cruising into the last 16 at half-time.

They led through goals from Sean Longstaff and Joelinton, while United were unable to take three big chances.

Newcastle did a decent job of killing the game, but Karl Robinson’s side found an extra gear to launch an astonishing comeback in the final few minutes.

Liam Kelly’s inch-perfect free-kick gave them hope, before the roof came off a sold-out Kassam Stadium with Nathan Holland’s spectacular stoppage-time volley.

The Sky Bet League One underdogs were on top at the start of extra time, but as fatigue set in the top-flight quality proved just enough.

United’s selection had one eye on Peterborough United in Sky Bet League One on Saturday, so Jamie Mackie and Elliott Moore replaced James Henry and John Mousinho.

As in the first game, Newcastle fielded a strong line-up and this time looked sharp from the first whistle.

They harassed the U’s, who looked nervy and were forced into simple errors.

It proved costly in the 15th minute, when Mark Sykes played Sam Long into trouble.

That created space for Miguel Almiron, whose cross was laid off by Joelinton to Sean Longstaff. He was faced with several defenders, but managed to unleash a powerful shot which took a nick off Moore to take it out of Simon Eastwood’s reach and into the net.

United began to take their first cautious steps forward, only to fall further behind just before the half-hour mark.

Sean Longstaff this time turned provider with a ball over the top to Joelinton, who raced away from Rob Dickie and slotted past Eastwood.

The hosts appealed for a foul on Marcus Browne earlier in the move, but the officials – who unlike the first game did not have the benefit of VAR – were unmoved. Instead, Robinson was booked for his protest.

It was already starting to look a long night, but United should have halved the deficit almost immediately.

First Mackie’s shot on the turn was brilliantly saved by Karl Darlow, who was beaten seconds later by Long’s fierce strike which was headed off the line by Jamaal Lascelles headed off the line.

Roared on by a packed home crowd, Holland then wasted a great chance when his scuffed shot from Sykes’s cross hit Mackie and bounced over.

It had been a frantic first half, but the tempo slowed after the break as Newcastle looked happy to measure their bursts forward.

United were unable to make much headway in the other direction, as the contest fell flat.

Matty Taylor and Liam Kelly came off the bench, the latter for a limping Browne, in a bid to change the flow of the game.

Newcastle did a decent job of killing the game, until an extraordinary final few minutes of normal time.

Kelly gave United hope six minutes from the end of normal time with a sublime free-kick which crept in past Darlow’s despairing dive.

It set up a grandstand finish, which saw Eastwood go forward for a free-kick in the final minute of stoppage time.

The set piece was only half-cleared to the lurking Holland, who from 20 yards caressed a high-class volley into the net.

It sparked bedlam among the home fans, as the tie went to extra time.

Newcastle were rocking when play restarted and within seconds Agyei missed his kick in the six-yard box after Darlow spilled a cross.

Eastwood saved three efforts from Saint-Maximin to keep the scores level, but he could not deny the rapid forward a fourth time as penalties loomed.

United’s tired legs lost the ball outside the Newcastle box and the visitors launched a counter-attack which was clinically finished.

It was a cruel finish to finally knock the underdogs out, but the wild celebrations on the Newcastle bench showed how close they had come to an upset.

Oxford Utd (4-3-3): Eastwood, Long, Dickie, Moore, Ruffels, Gorrin (Agyei 72), Sykes, Brannagan (Thorne 103), Browne (Kelly 61), Mackie (Taylor 58), Holland.

Unused subs: Stevens, Hanson, Mousinho.

Booked: Sykes.

Newcastle Utd (3-5-2): Darlow, Schar, Lascelles, Lejeune (Clark 96), Yedlin, M Longstaff, Bentaleb (Atsu 102), S Longstaff, Ritchie, Almiron (Hayden 89), Joelinton (Saint-Maximin 37).

Unused subs: Elliot, Atsu, Fernandez, Allan.

Booked: Bentaleb, Lejeune.

Referee: Peter Bankes (Merseyside).

Attendance: 11,520 (1,779 visitors).