OXFORD United produced a magnificent fightback but were left floored as Newcastle United edged through 3-2 after extra time in a thumping Emirates FA Cup tie.

The U’s looked dead and buried as they trailed to Sean Longstaff and Joelinton’s goals heading into the closing stages of the fourth-round replay.

But Liam Kelly’s free-kick was then upstaged by Nathan Holland’s 94th-minute equaliser.

Read also: Oxford United 2 (Kelly 84, Holland 90+4), Newcastle United 3 (S Longstaff 15, Joelinton 29, Saint-Maximin 116)

It sent the tie into extra time, with Allan Saint-Maximin providing a moment of brilliance to win it four minutes before a penalty shoot-out.

U’s head coach Karl Robinson was dejected afterwards, knowing how close his side had come to an upset he felt their performance merited.

He said: “I thought we outplayed them. I don’t know what the stats are but I thought we dominated the ball. We created good chances, even in the first half.

“I’m really proud of my players and the club. I think we have shown we can cope with the big nights.

“We’re a League One team and if you’re honest I don’t think you could tell which was which.”

He added: “I’m devastated. People who know me will know that’s going to hurt.

“I thought my players probably deserved more than they got tonight.”

Newcastle’s bench celebrated wildly after the late winner, which Robinson felt was a huge compliment to his side.

He said: “What was surprising was their celebration. Everyone was on the pitch and that just shows you how far we pushed them.

“That’s the ultimate respect, I don’t mind that because it shows how much it meant to them.”

Rob Dickie was among several performers in yellow who rose to the challenge and he admitted to feeling United were poised to go on and reach the last 16.

He said: “To go all the way to extra time and not come away with a win is really disappointing.

“We’re proud, but to be honest we felt like they were there for the taking at one point.

“It’s come down to a moment of brilliance and sometimes you just have to hold your hands up.”

Kelly, who starred as a substitute, added: “You never like to lose, so obviously there is a bit of disappointment, but if you look at it overall with a League One team against a Premier League team we came in with nothing to lose.

“I think with it being live on TV everyone showed themselves.

“It’s more a sense of immense pride in how we played for 120 minutes than disappointment.”