OXFORD United are all-but out of the Papa John’s Trophy after letting slip a lead against Sky Bet League Two side Stevenage.

Luke Norris scored in the final minute of normal time to punish a deeply disappointing display from the U’s, who lost their unbeaten home record.

Dan Agyei had headed the hosts in front with his second goal in two games in the Trophy, but a strong United side could not build on their lead.

They grew sloppy and Stevenage eventually took their chances, with Jamie Reid equalising with 14 minutes left and Norris scoring a late winner.

United remain pointless in Southern Group H and need results to go their way and a big swing in goal difference in the final round of matches.

It is a frustrating way for the U’s to go into an 11-day break without a game, especially after Saturday’s win at Sheffield Wednesday.

Half of United’s six changes were expected, with Simon Eastwood replacing Jack Stevens in goal and Agyei and Joel Cooper coming in for Matty Taylor and Nathan Holland.

The rest of the XI was much closer to a first-choice U’s team, as Mark Sykes, James Henry and Ryan Williams were given the nod ahead of Herbie Kane, nursing a minor hamstring injury, Sam Long – rested - and Alex Gorrin, who is visiting family in Tenerife.

Young midfielder Ben Davis was on the bench for the first time since his deadline-day move from Fulham, with Gatlin O’Donkor also among the substitutes.

The small crowd meant a predictably low-key atmosphere and the game never truly got going, but United opened the scoring with the first move of quality.

Cameron Brannagan played a give-and-go with Cooper and burst forward, before feeding Sykes to his left.

The Irishman sent in a perfect cross and Agyei peeled away from his marker to head inside the near post.

United almost made it 2-0 five minutes later as Jordan Thorniley met Henry’s corner at the far post, but the ball rattled the top of the crossbar.

The U’s controlled possession and the early goal forced Stevenage to take more risks, which almost cost them.

Williams pounced on a loose pass out of defence midway through the half and burst into the penalty area, but goalkeeper Joe Anang was out quickly to smother the shot.

Agyei should have had his second just before the hour mark, but Anthony Forde’s delicious cross between the goalkeeper and the defence did not get the finish it deserved as the ball squirmed under the forward’s foot.

Stevenage had been reduced to shots from range during the opening 30 minutes, but forced Eastwood into two good stops late in the half.

First, the U’s keeper thwarted Reid after the striker beat the offside trap, before saving Elliot Osborne’s powerful effort with his feet in the 39th minute.

Long replaced Thorniley at half-time and slotted in alongside Elliott Moore, who slid in brilliantly to deny Bruno Andrade five minutes after the restart – although the forward had already been flagged offside.

United had tailed off before the break and that continued into the second half, but Stevenage did not initially have the cutting edge to punish them.

Henry was booked for sliding in after a poor touch before Cooper, who could not build on a bright start, was replaced by Holland just after the hour mark.

Brannagan had two efforts from range, with one forcing Anang into a sprawling save down to his right, while the goalkeeper then had to tip over Henry’s dipping strike from 25 yards.

Saturday’s match-winner was replaced by Davis, on for his U’s debut, but within seconds Stevenage were level.

This time United’s sloppiness was punished, as they lost the ball in their own half and Reid advanced to beat Eastwood at his near post from long range.

The U’s tried to up the tempo and Sykes had an effort deflected wide, while Brannagan whistled a shot past the near post from 20 yards.

But they continued to leave gaps at the other end and Steve Seddon did well to block Osborne’s shot, after a cross had somehow found its way across the box.

The U’s did not learn their lesson and Stevenage broke in the last minute, with Norris beating Eastwood from a tight angle.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Eastwood, Forde, Moore (Long 46), Thorniley, Seddon, Henry (Davis 74), Brannagan, Sykes, Williams, Agyei, Cooper (Holland 62).

Unused subs: Stevens, Mousinho, Davis, O’Donkor.

Booked: Henry.

Stevenage (4-4-2): Anang, Wildin, Vancooten, Prosser, Melbourne (Townsend-West 75), Osborne, Smith (List 85), Reeves, Andrade (Taylor 74), Norris, Reid.

Unused subs: Bastien, Cuthbert, Marshall, Tinubu.

Booked: None.

Referee: Ben Toner (Lancashire).

Attendance: 1,712 (42 visitors).