CHINNOR suffered their second home defeat of the season as Darlington Mowden Park claimed a narrow victory at Kingsey Road.

Warren Seals’ 78th-minute penalty earned the visitors a well-deserved 23-20 triumph on a disappointing afternoon for the home side.

It was an error-strewn National League 1 contest, but Mowden were good value for their four points as Chinnor never really fired.

The hosts led 10-0 after nine minutes, thanks to a Bader Pretorius penalty and Ryan Crowley’s converted try.

Mowden’s free-flowing attacking rugby was causing problems and they levelled the game at 10-all after 20 minutes when Garry Law forced his way over and Seals, who had kicked an earlier penalty, added the extras.

Another Seals penalty then put the visitors in front, but Chinnor retook the lead when Darlington’s Dave Fisher was sin-binned and Fred Tuilagi dived over for an unconverted try.

The hosts further extended their lead to 20-13 after the break when Luke Carter crossed following good work from Cameron Terry, but Mowden refused to give in.

Euan McKirdy dotted down under the posts – Seals converting – to bring the scores level at 20-20 after 55 minutes.

Chinnor enjoyed more territory as the game wore on, but did not take their opportunities and were punished by Seals’ penalty to stay fourth.

Henley Hawks also suffered late heartbreak as Guernsey Raiders kicked a last-minute penalty to win 17-16 in National 2 South.

The Oxfordshire side appeared set to return from the Channel Islands with four points when they went 13-0 up midway through the second half.

But two converted Guernsey tries in the space of ten minutes turned the tables, before the sides exchanged late penalties.

Henley did not leave empty-handed though, with Guernsey officials and sponsors raising almost £450 for the Dave Hyde Fund.

The former Hawks lock tragically passed away last month.

Meanwhile, an excellent display at Beaconsfield saw Witney claim their first win back in South West 1 East.

Jake Edwards, Tom Puddle and Ben Gordon all crossed in a 19-6 triumph, with Ollie Brian and Tom Puddle each kicking a conversion.

Grove remain bottom after their 45-20 home defeat to Newbury Blues.