OXFORD United will go to Bristol Rovers for an Emirates FA Cup replay after Antony Evans’s late penalty secured a draw for the Sky Bet League Two side.

The forward struck three minutes from the end of the first-round clash after Jamie Hanson had fouled fellow substitute Aaron Collins.

It looked like Matty Taylor would once again grab the headlines against his former club, the striker scoring and then assisting Marcus McGuane’s first United goal.

The No 9’s seventh goal of the season saw the U’s score first for the tenth successive game, but Sam Finley equalised in first-half stoppage-time.

McGuane scored early in the second half, but Evans ensured United’s four-match winning run came to an end as they secured a replay in nine days' time.

Both teams will be in tomorrow’s second round draw, although the U’s will be kicking themselves that they are not assured of a place at the next stage.

Cameron Brannagan returned from illness to take his place in a strong starting XI, which only showed two other changes from last weekend’s win over Morecambe.

McGuane also began in midfield, with Gavin Whyte on the left, as James Henry, Nathan Holland and Herbie Kane were all rested.

Kie Plumley is cup-tied and Mackenzie Chapman on loan at Banbury United, so John Mousinho stood by as substitute keeper.

Taylor had the first sight of goal when his seventh-minute header was easily caught by James Belshaw, but it did not take long for the striker to continue his prolific form.

United moved the ball from left to right and back again, as they waited for an opening to appear.

It came when Brannagan released Mark Sykes down the left and the midfielder crossed to the far post, where Taylor side-footed home from six yards.

The striker briefly moved towards the Rovers fans and put his hand to his ear, before turning away to celebrate his sixth goal in eight matches.

United suffered a setback moments later when Alex Gorrin stretched for a cross and went down injured. The midfielder carried on for a few minutes, before being replaced by Ryan Williams.

The winger was deployed on the left, with Sykes moving into the middle, but Rovers grew into the game and more than matched their opponents.

Antony Evans hit the outside of the post with a low shot from 18 yards, before the visitors had two quickfire chances midway through the half.

Simon Eastwood tipped a Paul Coutts effort over the crossbar following a corner routine straight off the training ground, with Sykes clearing off the line when Connor Taylor headed the resulting set-piece towards goal.

Matty Taylor remained a target for Rovers fans and the striker sparked a melee when he forcefully backed into his namesake after half an hour, which saw him and Finley booked.

It calmed down on and off the pitch before the break, only for Rovers to equalise in the first of six minutes of added time.

Harry Anderson beat Steve Seddon on the right and his cross took a flick off a United head, allowing Finley to score on the half-volley at the far post.

Rovers were not level for long, as the U’s once again struck early in the half – and it was another lovely goal.

United regained possession after a corner was headed away and Taylor split the defence with a delightful reverse pass for the onrushing McGuane, who curled into the net.

They should have made it three moments later when Whyte headed wide from Williams’s cross, before Taylor shot off target on the break.

Eastwood toed Sam Nicholson’s effort wide in an end-to-end start to the second period, before Belshaw had to scramble back and tip over Brannagan’s audacious free-kick from inside his own half.

The U’s hit the woodwork three times in quick succession just after the hour mark, Sykes crashing a shot against the bar after he was allowed to advance into the penalty area.

Taylor then struck the same post twice in a matter of moments. The first would have been something special, as he was going away from goal but managed to lob Belshaw from 30 yards.

The woodwork was still shaking when the striker went close again, this time seeing his shot cannon back towards him after meeting Sykes’s cross on the turn.

Taylor got a noisy send-off – for different reasons – when he was replaced by Agyei with 19 minutes left.

Forde also came on for Whyte and Billy Bodin got a chance to face his old club, with Sykes making way.

Hanson then came on for McGuane and his error cost United with three minutes left.

The substitute went to clear a loose ball and did not realise Collins was behind him, meaning he only made contact with the man.

Evans sent Eastwood the wrong way from the penalty spot, with Belshaw tipping over a late Moore header to secure the draw.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Eastwood, Long, Moore, Thorniley, Seddon, Brannagan, Gorrin (Williams 21), McGuane (Hanson 79), Sykes (Bodin 71), Taylor (Agyei 71), Whyte (Forde 71).

Unused subs: Mousinho, McNally, Golding, Cooper.

Booked: Taylor.

Bristol Rovers (3-5-2): Belshaw, Kilgour, Taylor, Harries, Anderson (Collins 82), Coutts (Spence 82), Finley, Whelan, Grant (Hoole 68), Evans, Nicholson.

Unused subs: Ward, Westbrooke, Jones, Martinez, Langlais.

Booked: Finley, Coutts.

Referee: Paul Howard (London).

Attendance: 5,083 (797 visitors).