OXFORD City showed their promotion credentials with an excellent victory over fellow high-fliers Dulwich Hamlet.

Goals from Joe Iaciofano and Canice Carroll either side of the break saw David Oldfield’s side leapfrog their opponents and go third in Vanarama National League South.

It was a high-intensity performance from the hosts, who extended their unbeaten run to seven matches and kept a fifth clean sheet in six games.

And the win would have put a smile on the faces of the Oxford United fans in attendance, granted free entry by City if they had tickets for today’s postponed trip to Wigan Athletic.

David Oldfield named the same XI that started last weekend’s stalemate at league leaders Dartford and they looked to take the game to their opponents straight away.

Both teams showed plenty of energy and a willingness to get the ball down and play, although there were few chances in the first 20 minutes.

Dulwich midfielder Jordan Higgs had the first sight of goal midway through the half, volleying just over from the edge of the box after George Harmon headed away a cross.

Carroll was booked for a late challenge just before the 30-minute mark and City began to work goalkeeper Charlie Grainger as the half wore on.

The stopper punched away Zac McEachran’s long-range effort, before a Michael Timlin cross took a wicked deflection into Ben Dudzinski’s arms.

It was City who made the breakthrough with nine minutes left of the half, though.

George Harmon did well to hook a deep cross back into the six-yard box and Iaciofano was on hand to apply the finish.

Dulwich responded well to going behind and Darren McQueen fired over on the break, but City reached the interval still in front.

Harmon raced up and down the left flank all afternoon and arrived on Iaciofano’s outside shoulder three minutes after the restart, only to see his fizzed effort deflected behind.

Shortly after, Iaciofano scuffed a good chance from McEachran’s cut-back and Dulwich counter-attacked, with visiting captain Jack Holland heading just over from the resulting corner.

City were vulnerable when Dulwich played through the press and the visitors’ best chance came on the hour mark as space opened up for Chiki Kandi, but his effort curled away from the far post.

Lewis Coyle replaced Zac McEachran, with the visitors responding by bringing on Andrew Harris-Sealey for Danny Mills.

Grainger did brilliantly to thwart Iaciofano in the 68th minute, the goalkeeper reacting quickly to tip a powerful effort over the bar.

It was anyone’s game at 1-0, but moments later Carroll scored the all-important second goal.

Dulwich half-cleared a corner and the ball ran out to the midfielder, who curled into the back of the net from 20 yards.

Ricardo German came on for Kandi, but City made all the late running.

Iaciofano and Bradbury fired off target from good positions following a string of corners, as the hosts kept their focus right to the end.

Oxford City (3-5-2): Dudzinski, Asare, Matsuzaka, Davies, McEachran (Coyle 60), Fleet, Carroll, Kyprianou, Harmon, Bradbury, Iaciofano (Bancroft 90).

Unused subs: Benyon, Owusu, Potter.

Booked: Carroll.

Dulwich Hamlet (4-3-3): Grainger, Taylor, Barnum-Bobb (Dayton 83), Timlin, Holland, Sterling, Higgs, McGregor, Mills (Harris-Sealey 67), McQueen, Kandi.

Unused subs: Taylor, Diallo.

Booked: None.

Referee: Dale Wootton.

Attendance: 743.