OXFORD United and Wycombe Wanderers will investigate the unsavoury incidents that marred yesterday's match at Adams Park.

The game was briefly stopped during the second half after Chairboys goalkeeper David Stockdale, defending the end that housed the away fans, spoke to referee Anthony Backhouse.

Read the match report here

The official spoke to U’s head coach Karl Robinson and Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth, before an announcement was made warning supporters they would be reprimanded for using homophobic language.

The chants are alleged to have come from a minority in the away end and United released a statement late last night.

It read: “Oxford United will wait for reports to be completed but will work with the safety team at Wycombe Wanderers and all of the relevant authorities to investigate allegations of homophobic comments during today’s game at Adams Park.

“The club will examine all of the available evidence but would like to state as clearly as possible that discrimination of any kind is not acceptable at matches, home or away or on social media.

“Oxford United remain committed to providing a safe, inclusive environment for all supporters and will not tolerate any form of discrimination.”

Robinson had earlier branded the alleged chanting ‘unacceptable’, while Ainsworth called it ‘idiotic and ignorant’.

It was not the only incident that marred the Sky Bet League One clash, which Wycombe won 2-0 through goals from Curtis Thompson and Brandon Hanlan.

In the aftermath of the latter’s strike on the hour mark, a home fan broke onto the pitch and headed towards the away end.

He was allowed to run almost the full length of the surface and shoved Steve Seddon on the way as the U’s left back tried to stop him, before he was eventually grabbed by stewards.

Thames Valley Police has since confirmed the 18-year-old, from Thame, was arrested and received a conditional caution.

Shortly after, another Wycombe supporter pushed Gavin Whyte as the winger retrieved the ball for a throw in and walked off without consequence.

A Wycombe statement said: "Wycombe Wanderers were delighted to welcome its biggest crowd of the season to Adams Park on Saturday, and thank both Chairboys and Oxford supporters for coming along to play their part in another absorbing afternoon of League One football.

"The club are, however, investigating a small number of incidents which occurred throughout the day in relation to discriminatory abuse, pitch incursions and crowd disturbances.

"The safety and wellbeing of everyone in the stadium - players included - is paramount at all times.

"The club also has a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination, and applauds those who have reported incidents involving homophobic and racist language.

"Each incident is being investigated and appropriate action will be taken.

"Wanderers would also like to publicly thank both sets of supporters for a poignant mark of respect in the 29th minute for Alana Hurford, a young Wycombe supporter who passed away recently."

Thames Valley Police is appealing for witnesses following the alleged offences.

“Unfortunately, we have received reports that a very small minority of fans in the away stand have made remarks of a homophobic nature during the League One match on Saturday," investigating officer sergeant Simon Gray, the force's football liaison officer, said.

“The vast majority of supporters at this game behaved in an exemplary manner, and were a credit to both football clubs, but we take reports of this nature very seriously and will work with both clubs to investigate these allegations.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact Thames Valley Police on 101 or by making a report online, quoting reference number 43220021940.

You can also call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.