CHINNOR suffered their heaviest defeat of the season as Darlington Mowden Park triumphed 42-17 to inflict a fourth straight loss in National League 1.

The damage was done in a rampant first half from the hosts, who led 35-5 at the break.

The defeat leaves the Oxfordshire side seventh, but the gap is now 14 points to next-placed Cambridge, who they travel to on Saturday.

DMP dominated from start to finish and opened the scoring after six minutes when Ben Frankland cut through to dive over under the sticks, before Euan McKirdy and Ollie Walker crossed.

The four-try bonus point was secured by the half-hour mark, when Walker added his second. Warren Seals kicked four conversions to give the hosts a dominant 28-0 lead.

James Bourton’s interception try put Chinnor on the board, but there was still time for DMP to add to their tally before the break and Ralph Appleby dived over to make it 35-5.

With Joe Craggs in the sin bin, the visitors scored their second try when Cameron Terry drove over from a lineout on 50 minutes but, despite having the extra man, they were unable to stop the home side crossing again through George Shannon.

The hosts were again reduced to 14 men when Garry Law was yellow carded and Fred Tuilagi forced his way over late on, but Chinnor were unable to find another try to take at least a point back home to Oxfordshire.

In National 2 South, Henley Hawks recorded a 23-0 win over Guernsey Raiders.

The visitors did not threaten their opponents’ 22 until the final play of the game, although they defended stoutly to keep the score down.

Henley opened the scoring in the 20th minute, Reuben Norville going over, with Cail Cookland adding a penalty to make it 8-0.

George Wood crossed twice in the second half, either side of a Will Crow try.

It keeps Henley fifth in the table.

South West 1 East leaders Banbury Bulls suffered a rare defeat, going down 16-13 at Newbury Blues.

They remain top by a point, despite second-placed Oxford Quins’ 40-5 triumph over Trowbridge.

Witney lost 10-5 at Sherborne, while Grove were beaten 34-13 by Beaconsfield.

In Southern Counties North, Wallingford edged out Shipston on Stour 10-7 and Bicester went down 15-8 at Thatcham.