CHINNOR were unable to finish their season with a notable victory on the road as Sale secured a comfortable 50-17 win.

The hosts ran riot on a balmy day at Heywood Road as the visitors’ errors were punished.

Chinnor had already secured seventh place in National League 1 before the contest, and took the lead through Oscar Heath’s fifth-minute try.

However, Sale, with the shackles well and truly off after missing out on promotion the previous week, were dangerous all afternoon.

Tries from Tom Walsh and Ben Carlile saw the hosts take the lead and they never looked back.

Nick Smith finished off a fine flowing move as Chinnor closed to within four points, but Sale always threatened and headed into the break 26-14 ahead, thanks to scores from Matt Bradley and Josh Brown.

There was only 16 points in it, however three tries in the opening nine minutes of the half from Walsh, Andrew Hughes and Jack Moorhouse saw the hosts wrap up the contest and go 43-10 up.

Chinnor showed great spirit to respond with a try of our own, with Jack Walsh sneaking through a gap as pick and goes did the damage.

However, they were unable to cross again to at least come away with a four-try bonus-point, and instead Sale’s Walsh completed his hat-trick with nine minutes to go.

Meanwhile, Banbury Old Nicks won the Oxfordshire Vets Floodlit Cup, beating Chinnor Oxen 29-24.

It proved to be an entertaining contest at Oxford Quins, with Chinnor going close to pulling off a late comeback as they scored three tries in the final ten minutes to set up an exciting climax.

Elsewhere, Henley Hawks end the campaign eighth in National 2 South after a disappointing defeat at Old Albanians.

The Hertfordshire club’s 38-19 win, coupled with victories for Bury St Edmunds and Dings Crusaders, saw Luke Allen’s side fall two places on the final day.

Old Albanians raced into a 12-0 lead, before George Amphlett’s converted try reduced the deficit.

But Henley gifted the hosts two scores and they went in at the break 26-7 behind.

James Davies’ unconverted try gave Hawks a glimmer of hope, only for Old Albanians to touch down twice more and go 39-12 in front.

The visitors had the final say when they went over late on, but it was only a consolation.