TYLER Goodrham scored a stunning stoppage-time winner on his league debut to give Oxford United victory over Cambridge United.

The 18-year-old had only been on the pitch seven minutes when he weaved into the penalty area and fired into the top corner, sparking wild scenes at the Kassam Stadium.

It was a sensational end to United’s first home game of the Sky Bet League One season, with the hosts underwhelming for large parts of the afternoon.

Cambridge impressed throughout and will feel hard done by not to get a point, especially after Harvey Knibbs turned a brilliant chance wide in the first half.

But Goodrham’s moment of magic sealed United’s first victory of the campaign as they got up and running following last week’s defeat to Derby County.

Karl Robinson made just one change to the XI that started at Pride Park, with Josh Murphy making his full debut on the right wing in place of James Henry.

After lining up in a 4-2-3-1 formation at Pride Park, United reverted to 4-3-3 as Marcus Browne joined Marcus McGuane and Cameron Brannagan in midfield.

Stuart Findlay made his home debut, while summer signings Jodi Jones and Lewis Bate began on the bench in place of James Golding and the injured Gatlin O’Donkor.

Kick-off was delayed by five minutes after the Cambridge bus got stuck in traffic and United started on the front foot as they looked to get Murphy into the game.

The first sight of goal fell to the visitors as Sam Smith, public enemy No 1 after his celebration here last season, turned away from Elliott Moore on halfway and floated the shot wide with Simon Eastwood off his line.

Browne fired a free-kick over the crossbar shortly after, but United had already lost any momentum built up in the opening five minutes.

Stuart Findlay was booked for tripping James Brophy on the edge of the penalty area and, from the resulting free-kick, the visitors missed a golden chance.

The set-piece was half-cleared and Shilow Tracey volleyed across goal, with Knibbs turning the ball the wrong side of the post from six yards.

Harrison Dunk fired just over from range when United invited him to shoot, moments before fellow full back George Williams saw an effort blocked.

The U’s needed to up the tempo and Mitov spilled Murphy’s shot after the winger cut inside, with Matty Taylor flagged offside as the ball went loose.

United fans became increasingly unhappy with referee Tom Reeves as several decisions went against them and the hosts had a big penalty shout five minutes before the break.

Taylor nodded the ball down to Browne who got the wrong side of Lloyd Jones and went to ground, but the official was unmoved.

Smith then had another half-chance when he diverted Tracey’s wicked cross goalwards, but the shot lacked power and was easy for Eastwood.

The striker fired high and wide after the restart as the second period began in a similar vein to the first, with United struggling to put pressure on the Cambridge goal.

Browne was booked for a late challenge on Tracey and Taylor sent a weak effort wide, before the duo combined with the striker unable to bring his teammate’s cross under control on the turn.

Cambridge had a penalty shout of their own when Knibbs went down under Moore’s challenge, before Henry replaced Billy Bodin in United’s first change.

The U’s had two half-chances in quick succession midway through the half as a deflection just eluded Murphy in the box, before Taylor met Henry’s cross and the ball looped over the crossbar.

Murphy had to be replaced after a burst down the wing left him on his haunches, with Bate coming on for his debut 19 minutes from time.

There was little change to the pattern of the game and Smith went close again, getting the wrong side of Moore and flashing a shot past Eastwood’s far post.

United finally started to work Mitov in the last ten minutes as the goalkeeper pushed behind headers from Moore and Taylor from successive corners.

There was a flurry of substitutions on both sides as Goodrham and Jones, the latter on for his U’s debut, replaced Taylor and McGuane.

The game appeared destined for a draw, only for the teenager to steal the show.

Goodrham received the ball near the byline and wriggled past one marker, before cutting inside the next defender and arrowing the effort beyond Mitov and into the top corner.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Eastwood, Long, Moore, Findlay, Seddon, Browne, McGuane (Goodrham 86), Brannagan, Murphy (Bate 71), Taylor (Jones 86), Bodin (Henry 66).

Unused subs: Stevens, Brown, Gorrin.

Booked: Findlay, Browne.

Cambridge United (4-2-3-1): Mitov, Williams, Okedina, Jones, Dunk, Digby, May, Tracey (O’Neil 85), Knibbs (Janneh 85), Brophy (Ironside 85), Smith.

Unused subs: Mannion, Taylor, Haunstrup, Lankester.

Booked: Dunk.

Referee: Tom Reeves (Birmingham).

Attendance: 8,057 (595 visitors).