OXFORD United twice came from behind to beat Cheltenham Town and progress in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Harry Worley, James Constable and Peter Leven scored in the space of 13 second half minutes as the U's overturned a 2-1 deficit to reach round three.

Earlier Tom Craddock had cancelled out Darryl Duffy's opener, only for Keith Lowe to give Town a half time lead after United were penalised for a back pass.

United made six changes to their starting line-up.

Daniel Boateng, Worley and Tony Capaldi came into the back four, in midfield Leven made his first start of the season, while up front Constable partnered Craddock.

Cheltenham made five changes to their XI, but neither side looked particularly disjointed in a lively first half.

A mistake from Worley allowed Duffy the first clear chance on 11 minutes, but the striker's shot from 18 yards did not trouble Ryan Clarke.

The defender quickly made amends, superbly clearing Steve Elliott's powerful header off the line.

United carried a threat as well, thanks partly to the intelligent partnership of Leven and Adam Chapman in central midfield.

Cheltenham opened the scoring on 31 minutes, when Russell Penn played in Duffy to bend a shot into the far corner.

But within four minutes United were level, when Clarke's goal kick bounced over the Town defence for Craddock to prod in.

Cheltenham edged ahead in bizarre circumstances on the stroke of half time.

Clarke dropped a high cross, which Boateng instinctively played back to the goalkeeper, who gathered. It was debatable whether it was deliberate, but referee Stuart Attwell adjudged it as a back pass, awarding an indirect free-kick eight yards out which saw Shaun Harrad teed up for Lowe to volley in.

Andy Whing made his first appearance of the campaign on the hour, before United turned the game on its head.

Worley equalised midway through the second half, heading in Leven's corner.

United went ahead for the first time on the night when Constable poued on indecision in the Town defence to volley in left-footed from an acute angle. It was the striker's first goal since February.

With ten minutes remaining , the visitors made the game safe.

Simon Heslop was fouled in the box by Elliott and Leven coolly dispatched the spot kick.

Cheltenham piled on the pressure in the closing stages, but United held firm to seal victory.

Oxford (4-4-2): Clarke, Boateng, Worley, Capaldi, O'Brien, Heslop, Chapman, Leven, Forster-Caskey, Constable, Craddock

Subs used: Whing (Boateng 61), Rigg (Forster-Caskey 81), Marsh (Craddock 90) 

Unused subs: Crocombe, Potter Booked: Chapman, Heslop, Worley

Cheltenham (4-3-3): Brown, Lowe, Hooman (Jombati 75), Elliott, Jones, Pack, Deering (Carter 80), Penn, Duffy, Harrad (Mohamed 80), Goulding

Unused subs: Roberts, Graham

Booked: Duffy

Referee: Stuart Attwell

Attendance: 1,236 (236 visitors)