Oxford United came from behind to chalk up their first away win of the season in a cracking game at the Pirelli Stadioum yesterday.

Jim Smith's men recovered from the shock of going behind on just 11 minutes to hit back impressively, and they could even afford the luxury of a missed penalty.

Gary Twigg, successful from the spot eight days earlier, was the one who had his penalty saved, but the Scotsman had already equalised by then with a well-taken goal, and Yemi Odubade completed the comeback, and a good day's work, by grabbing a winner 12 minutes into the second half.

The U's, wearing their white away strip, as a change from their all-blue at Cambridge, looked a much better unit and will have given their fans much more hope of a successful season as they looked a potent attacking force.

At the back too, they weren't as reckless as they had been at the Abbey Stadium in Thursday night's Setanta offering.

Smith brought Mickey Corcoran in to the defence, in place of Arthur Gnohere, Luke Foster into central midfield and handed Odubade a starting place in attack, ahead of Rob Duffy.

It was a frenetic 100 miles an hour start and Oxford began well.

Good play by Corcoran earned the visitors a second-minute corner. Alex Jeannin delivered the first one well, but not the second, for the second game running curling the outswinger out of play.

It was a bad error from Matt Day which Burton capitalised on to take the lead. Day missed his kick completely ten yards out, Daryl Clare was on it in an instant, spun and shot low past Billy Turley and in off the far post.

Yet United's response was superb, and they were back level within 30 seconds.

Straight from the kick-off, Eddie Hutchinson charged down a clearance to set up Twigg, who saw his opportunity in a flash and raced away totry to round keeper Kevin Poole. The goalkeeper got a hand to the ball but Twigg followed up by controlling the loose ball and shooting home left-footed for his third goal in three games.

A minute before the break, United should have taken the lead. Hutchinson was quicker to the ball than defender John Brayford, who tripped him just inside the box, and the ref had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

But Twigg struck his low penalty too close to keeper Poole, who saved to his right.

However, Odubade grabbed a 57th-minute winner for the U's after good work from Eddie Anaclet.

Phil Trainer's pass set Anaclet clear, and although his chip over the keeper hit the post and rolled along the line, Odubade got to the loose ball left to makle sure by turning it over the line.

United withstood strong pressure near the end, with Turley having to punch out several testing crosses under pressure, but they deserved their victory.

Oxford Utd: Turley, Corcoran, Quinn, Day, Anaclet, Hutchinson (Pettefer 66), Foster, Trainer, Jeannin, Odubade (Robinson 79), Twigg (Ledgister 50). Subs not used: Tardif, Rose.

Referee: Darren Cann (Norfolk).

Att: 2,259