UNITED were held to a frustrating draw by Halifax at the Kassam Stadium after conceding a late penalty.

Michael Corcoran brought down Andy Campbell after the former U's player made a pacy run into the box, beating two players along the way.

And sub Steve Torpey slotted home the 74th-minute spot kick to earn the Shaymen a draw, and end Oxford's 100 per cent home record.

Back-in-favour Rob Duffy had fired Jim Smith's men in front six minutes into the second half.

Restored to the starting line-up because Gary Twigg is injured, Duffy teamed up with new signing Paul Shaw and grabbed his first goal of the campaign with a classy finish.

Shaw flicked on a long clearance from goalkeeper Billy Turley, and with Halifax's defence parting like the Red Sea, Duffy raced through in oceans of space and shot home right-footed as keeper Craig Mawson came out.

Oxford had gievn a debut to Paul Shaw, the former Arsenal, Gillingham, Millwall and Sheffield United striker who had joined them on non-contract forms after being released by Chesterfield.

Campbell was in understandably confident mood after his Bank Holiday hat-trick and he seemed to relish his return to the Kassam Stadium, where he had played for four months at the end of 2005.

Campbell won the Shaymen a corner in the first minuite and centre back Cortez Belle should probably have done better than plant a free header over from Tom Kearney's flag kick.

Oxford striker Rob Duffy was twice unable to get over the ball at headers at ther other end as the U's got their game together aqnd put in decent crosses.

Paul Shaw needed treatment after taking a bang on the head just before the half hour, but he still showed moments of class and tenacity, running out of steam after one great turn and run, and then retrieving a lost cause when the ball slipped out of keeper Craig Mawson's hands.

Halifax striker John Shaw wasted two very takeable chances late in the first half.

After Alex Jeannin had lost possession, Campbell threaded the perfect through pass for his fellow striker, but Michael Corcoran's brilliant last-ditch tackle just did enough to put Shaw off. Although his shot went under goalkeeper Billy Tuirley's body, the challenge had taken all the pace off the shot, and Corcoran rescued his team for a second time by reaching the ball before it crossed the line.

Then, right on half-time, John Shaw glanced a flashing header across the face of goal at the near post from Matt Doughty's left-wing cross.

In the second half, Barry Quinn had a headed goal disallowed for a push on Mawson.

Smith decided to replace Duffy and Shaw with Marvin Robinson and Yemi Odubade just before Halifax got their penalty, and in truth the two sub strikers never posed the same threat.

Oxford Utd: Turley, Corcoran, Quinn, Day, Anaclet, Pettefer (Foster 80), Trainer, Rose, Jeannin, Shaw (Odubade 67), Duffy (Robinson 67). Subs not used: Tardif, Standing.

Referee: J Linington (Isle of Wight).

Att: 4,926