Darren Patterson's reign as the new Oxford United manager got off to the perfect start with this FA Cup first-round victory.

Alex Jeannin, Yemi Odubade and substitute Eddie Anaclet got the goals for the U's.

Odubade's penalty just before the break put them 2-1 up and Anaclet sealed victory four minutes from time after good work from fellow sub Alex Fisher.

It may only have been a win against a team who have lost every away game in the Blue Square Premier this season, but there were many encouraging signs for the new boss, whose players gave him everything they could.

United went in front from their first attack in the seventh minute.

They had men over in a break down the right, and from Phil Trainer's fine left-footed cross, Alex Jeannin arrived beyond the back post to head in from a tight angle.

There was a strange reaction to the goal from the crowd, who despite giving both Patterson and Jim Smith a good ovation just before kick-off, seemed in a subdued mood.

It was almost as though, maybe after recent results, they just hadn't expected it!

Northwich also felt hard done by, claiming there had been an offside in the build-up to the goal. The referee's assistant certainly wasn't up with play to be able to make a decision.

Patterson, who has stated he's very much a 4-4-2 man, began with three at the back in this first match, with Luke Foster and new signing Patrick Collins either side of Barry Quinn.

Collins made a vital interception early on and went on one excellent run, showing strength and skill in fending off four or five challenges.

But it gradually became a bitty, rather than fluent performance, perhaps not surprising with several new and relatively new faces in the Oxford team.

And on 15 minutes only a fine save from Billy Turley kept them ahead.

Matt Day was caught upfield, leaving a gap at right back, and Luke Horrocks was allowed acres of room to get in a shot which Turley did very well to turn over the bar with a strong left arm.

United were playing with maybe more freedom going forward than they have been, but at times were too casual, like when Kieron St Aimie wasted a two-against-one opportunity simply by dwelling too long on the ball.

The game was becoming fairly physical at times. Simon Rusk was booked for tripping Stefan Bailey and Day was similarly shown the yellow card for a late, and high challenge on Michael Welch.

Six minutes before the break, Northwich equalised, and it again came from an attack down their left. Horrocks got past Day to fire over a low centre, which squirmed through two players and was diverted in by Danny Williams, who stuck out a leg to divert it high into the net.

Lifted by their equaliser, Vics stormed forward again, and Michael Carr skipped around Collins but had his curling right-footed shot saved.

But a minute before half-time, the U's were back in front, thanks to Odubade.

A superb long pass from Bailey set Odubade on a run down the left, and when he tried to cut inside Dominic Taylor, the Northwich defender chopped him down.

The ref pointed immediately to the spot, and Odubade converted the penalty.

In the early part of the second half there were fewer scoring chances, but the U's looked a tighter unit. Carl Pettefer's running and the astute passing of Trainer and Bailey gave them the edge, though up front St Aimie wasn't quite on the same wavelength as some of his teammates.

Odubade managed to get around the visitors' defence on one forceful run, but could only overhit his cross.

On came Fisher near the end and he set up a third goal for fellow sub Anaclet with a good cross from the left, which Anaclet fired high into the net after arriving from deep.