BANBURY United ended their five-match winless run in BetVictor Southern League Premier Central with a 2-0 victory over Stourbridge.

Mike Ford’s men had not tasted a league triumph since their 4-2 success over Redditch United on January 4, but goals from Ravi Shamsi and Ricky Johnson were enough to overcome their opponents.

The home side were on the front foot from the beginning of a wind-affected game, but Stourbridge were causing problems of their own and Jack Harding had to be alert to parry Chay Tilt’s effort on the half-hour mark.

Just two minutes later the hosts went ahead, as Shamsi timed his run to perfection to spring the offside trap before finishing coolly.

Johnson could have made it two just before the break, but he was thwarted by visiting keeper Charlie Price when put through one-on-one.

Giorgio Rasulo’s free-kick struck a post shortly after the restart, before Stourbridge thought they had levelled minutes later.

They had the ball in the Banbury net but the linesman had flagged, with the frustrated visitors visibly raising their game as a result.

The hosts weathered the storm and Luke Fairlamb almost marked his debut with a goal, only to be thwarted by Price.

Both sides looked like they could take something from the game, but Banbury struck with 20 minutes left to give themselves breathing space.

Greg Kaziboni’s powerful effort was saved by Price, but Johnson was on hand to bundle the ball home.

Stourbridge continued to press and could have grabbed a consolation from the penalty spot in stoppage time, but Harding dived to his right to save from Anthony Dwyer.

In Division 1 Central, North Leigh made it back-to-back wins with an impressive 2-1 triumph over promotion-chasing Aylesbury United.

Lance Williams put the hosts in front midway through the half when he clinically dispatched a Henry Landers cross.

Ten minutes later the Millers were 2-0 up, as Aaron Woodley scrambled the ball home after a dangerous corner had caused confusion.

Aylesbury pulled a goal back in first-half stoppage time, but Craig Dore’s side held on.

Wantage Town fell to another defeat as they went down 3-1 at Biggleswade.

It looked like it could be a long afternoon for the visitors when they went a goal down to Scott Joseph’s

ninth-minute strike.

But they clawed themselves level four minutes after the break, Dec Shepperd expertly firing home.

Wantage were undone again midway through the second half, Daniel Bond producing an excellent piece of improvisation to make it 2-1.

And the same player wrapped up the points six minutes from time, getting away from his marker before guiding a finish home.

Didcot Town also lost on their travels as Barton Rovers ran out 2-0 winners.

A dreadful first half only livened up ten minutes before the break, when Cameron McNeill was given a straight red card for a late challenge which sparked a melee.

The hosts made the extra man count as they took the lead in the 45th minute.

Barton doubled the lead within seconds of the restart and saw the game out.

Kidlington held high-flying Corby Town to a 0-0 draw, but may think they should have taken all three points after their opponents ended the game with nine men.

Both red cards were handed out in the final 20 minutes, but the visitors clung on.

Thame United’s home game against Yaxley was postponed.