United ended the year with a hard-fought goalless draw against Kidderminster Harriers at the Kassam Stadium on Saturday.

The game summed up the team's strengths as weaknesses with some great performances in defence, but once again they looked lightweight in attack.

A brilliant laqst-ditch block by Mickey Corcoran in the last minute on Harriers sub Matthew Barnes-Homer demonstrated the U's determination to keep another clean sheet.

But they had few opportunities themselves in front of goal.

Darren Patterson brought back James Clarke at right back, and Corcoran at centre half, with Luke Foster suspended.

And Clarke it was who produced a goal-saving tackle on James Constable in the 15th minute, after he had made the mistake of letting the Kidderminster striker get the wrong side of him.

United were also indebted to Phil Tariner for his good positioning as he nodded a Mark Creighton header off the line at a corner.

Harriers had the better of the first half and forced six corners, with Billy Turley needing to be at his best in his handling, and punching clear, to deal with some dangerous crosses and set pieces.

Russell Penn fired a 20-yard volley just wide of Turley's right post, and the impressive Simon Russell brought a decent save from the keeper with a smark turn and strike from 25 yards.

Going forward, the U's got their game together only in fits and starts.

Joel Ledgister was presented with a great shooting opportunity but delayed after not the best of first touches, and then ended up crossing to a teammate who wasn't as well placed.

One moment of quazlity from the home side came with a classy inswinging free-kick by Alex Jeannin that Rob Duffy met with a powerful header beyond the far post, but he couldn't beat keeper Scott Bevan.

At the very start of the second half, Kidderminster were inches away from taking the lead when a 20-yard free-kick from Jeff Kenna struck the foot of the post. the ball bounced up and it needed a desperate headed clearance from Barry Quinn to prevent Penn following it in.

Moments later, Quinn produced a brilliant defensive clearance from under his own bar when Russell pounced on Mickey Corcoran's error and crossed dangerously from near the right bye-line.

Duffy, who had come out for the second galf wearing a numberless shirt, which suggested he had blood on his first one lasted just eight minutes of the second half before being replaced by Ashley Barnes.

And Barnes was only on the pitch for a couple of minutes when he collided heavily with Harriers keeper Bevan, which left both men needing treatment.

Bevan, wearing a bandage around his head, seemed unsettled by the knock he had taken and he completely missed the next cross that came his way.

With Barnes on, United were playing 4-3-3 into the strong wind, but they still found chances at a premium.

Clarke embarked on a positive run from deep, but couldn't get his shot on target, and in the last few minutes, after good work by sub Matthew Taylor, the ball flashed across the six-yard box, but Yemi Odubade couldn't turn it in.

Oxford Utd: Turley, Clarke, Quinn, Corcoran, Jeannin, Ledgister (Taylor 77), Pettefer, Hutchinson, Trainer, Odubade, Duffy (Barnes 53). Subs not used: Warrell, Day, Benjamin.

Ref: Russell Fletcher (Derbyshire).

Att: 5,380 (274 from Kidderminster) Booked: Turley, Trainer.