Oxford United staged an astonishing late comeback to win their opening match of the season.

Looking to be heading to defeat, they snatched the game out of the fire with Matt Green equalising on 88 minutes, and Mark Creighton firing in the winner in the 91st minute.

York had led with a breakaway goal from Richard Brodie on 34 minutes, had been the better side for long spells as United gave a very disjointed display.

You've got to feel sorry (or maybe not) for any Oxford fans, who left three or four minutes from time. They missed a finale that had to be seen to be believed.

U's boss Chris Wilder chose Ryan Clarke ahead of Billy Turley in goal and within four minutes, Clarke had produced a super save.

Brodie headed the ball back from the far post and Andy Ferrell looked certain to score six yards out. But Clarke somehow got down to stop Ferell's shot on the turn for a superb save.

The U's just couldn't seem to get the ball down, while York's narrow midfield meant Dannie Bulman and Simon Clist were often quickly outnumbered when they got possession.

It wasn't until the 28th minute that the home side really threatened Michael Ingham's goal, and that was from a set piece.

Adam Chapman hit his set-up free-kick well enough, but couldn't get through York's massed defence.

But the ball was then chipped up for Mark Creighton to get a header on goal, though the big centre half couldn't get any power behind it.

It needed some good defending by Ben Purkiss to shepherd the ball back to his keeper when James Constable tried a run on goal, as United's centre forward continued to live off scraps.

A half-chance fell York's way at the other end when Levi Mackin hit a dropping ball wide on the volley from the edge of the area.

The Minstermen opened the scoring on 34 minutes and the U's felt aggrieved because there looked to have been a foul on Clist in the middle of the pitch before they broke forward.

Alex Lawless played the ball quickly through to Brodie, and despite Clarke's desperate attempts to stop him, the striker shot against the near post and, when the ball came back kindly towards him and with Luke Foster unable to get there, Brodie hammered the follow-up into the goal.

United continued to want too much time to do everything, and when they stood off Rankine, they almost paid the penalty, the former Hereford striker firing a left-footed drive narrowly over.

At half-time Wilder replaced Marcus Kelly, who hadn't really been able to influence procedings, with Alfie Potter, switching Adam Murray to the left.

Nine minutes into the second half, Matt Green came on for Kevin Sandwith, as the U's switched to 4-3-3 with Clist dropping into the left back position.

But York sat back and the U's were seldom able to penetrate.

Midson set up Constable for a 20-yard shot which he fired well wide, and from an excellent cross from the right touchline by Constable, Green tried a glancing header but couldn't get any weight on it.

Even the introduction of Alex Rhodes near the end, which gave Oxford a lot of attacking players, couldn't get them back on level terms.

But then, on 88 minutes, Luke Foster played the ball through and Green flicked it past keeper Ingham, with James Meredith trying to clear it off the line, but only after it had crossed.

United's fans were now urging their team forward, and in stoppage time, after some pinball in York's penalty area and one shot blocked, Mark Creighton lashed home the loose ball to send the crowd delirious.

Oxford Utd: Clarke; Chapman, Foster, Creighton, Sandwith (Green 54); Murray, Bulman, Clist 6, Kelly (Potter, h-t); Constable, Midson (Rhodes 74). Subs not used: Batt, Day.

Referee: Rob Whitton (Essex).

Att: 6,408 (420 from York).