Man who set fire to flat in suicide bid ordered to get treatment

Herald Series: Man who set fire to flat in suicide bid ordered to get treatment Man who set fire to flat in suicide bid ordered to get treatment

A MAN who set fire to his flat in a suicide bid is to receive mental health treatment in the community.

Stephen Conway, of Russ Avenue, Faringdon, admitted one count of arson reckless as to whether life was endangered on Tuesday, July 2 last year.

The 37-year-old, who suffers from bipolar disorder and had stopped taking his medication, started a fire in the first floor flat where he still lives.

Judge Patrick Eccles, sitting at Oxford Crown Court yesterday, said no one was injured in the fire but people had to evacuate the building.

Dr Sukhjeet Lally from the Littlemore Mental Health Hospital said he thought if Conway was sent to prison there would be “a very high likelihood of a relapse of his bipolar disorder”.

Judge Eccles said Conway could not be held completely responsible for his actions and gave him a two-year prison sentence, suspended for two years, with a mental health treatment requirement. He must also carry out 80 hours of unpaid work and pay a £100 victims’ surcharge.

  • Our top stories:

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:19am Wed 21 May 14

Dilligaf2010 says...

"admitted one count of arson reckless as to whether life was endangered".....
.....why can't the legal profession stick to plain English?
"admitted one count of arson reckless as to whether life was endangered"..... .....why can't the legal profession stick to plain English? Dilligaf2010
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree