THE death of a woman who was pulled from a burning house was last night being treated as suspicious.

Detectives were yesterday scouring the remains of the fire-damaged home near Abingdon for clues.

Firefighters were called to the scene in Spey Road, Shippon, yesterday morning and raised the alarm with police at 10.15am.

A woman in her 30s was discovered in the terraced house in the middle of a cul-de-sac.

She was taken to Oxford’s John Radcliffe Hospital , where she later died.

Det Supt Rob Mason, leading the inquiry, said: “The investigation is in its very early stages and it’s not yet clear what has caused the fire or if the fire is the cause of death.

“Until the post-mortem examination has been carried out, we will be treating the death as suspicious.

“It would not be appropriate to speculate any further at this stage.

“The victim’s family has been informed, however no formal identification has taken place.”

Police cordoned off the cul-de-sac but allowed access for residents.

The house is owned by the Ministry of Defence but is not part of nearby Edward Brooks Barracks.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said he could not comment as the police were leading the investigation. But it is not clear whether the victim or her family were connected with the military.

A spokesman for Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters were called to a blaze in a bedroom and sent two fire engines from stations at Didcot and Abingdon.

Neighbours last night said they were saddened by the tragedy.

Lauren Tighe, barmaid at The Prince of Wales pub in Shippon, said: “People here will be shocked.”

Spey Road resident Bridget Frimpong, 28, said: “I know the lady but not her name.

“A friend of mine called me at work because she heard the ambulance coming and that was about 11.30am. I am really shocked because I saw her last Sunday.”

Another resident, who asked not to be named, said: “I heard the fire alarm and after a couple of minutes the fire brigade came in. I could see the smoke coming out from the windows.

“I have seen her a couple of times around the regiment but I don’t know her personally.”

And neighbour Florence Limbani, 29, said: “I saw smoke coming out of the windows. I saw the fire engine going down the road.”

A post-mortem examination and formal identification are expected to take place today.