FOOTBALL: Wantage hit by second loss in a week

Wantage Town slipped to their second de-feat in five days when they lost 1-0 to fellow Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division title-chasers Ardley United at Alfredian Park on Saturday.

The best chances of the first half fell to Wantage striker Richie Claydon, who could not put them away.

The winning goal came in the 55th minute, when Ollie Stanbridge netted for Ardley with an overhead kick following Adam Beckett’s long throw.

The result took Ardley to the top of the table.

Last Tuesday, Wantage went down 2-1 at Binfield.

Abingdon United had Jack Bernasconi sent off for a second bookable offence in the closing stages as they went down 1-0 at High-worth Town.

Matty Horsell struck in the 57th-minute for High-worth, lashing home a loose ball after Ryan King’s cross hit the far post and came out.

Milton United drew 1-1 at home to Chalfont Wasps in Division 1 East.

Matt Chomyn scored for Milton, with Fred Tripp the Chalfont marksman.

Josh Fowler scored twice as Shrivenham won 4-3 at home to Maidenhead United Res in the Bluefin Sports Cup second round.

Nathan Blackford opened the scoring in the tenth minute for Shrivenham, only for Maidenhead to reply through Marcos Oshuro-Lumb and Delaney.

Fowler levelled on the half-hour, but Joe Crook put Maidenhead back in front ten minutes later.

Fowler equalised for a second time in the 58th minute, and Steve Robert-son grabbed the winner seven minutes later.

Didcot Town Res let slip a two-goal lead as they bowed out with a 3-2 defeat at home to Newbury.

Goals from Pete Vallence and Arran Gray put Didcot in the ascendancy.

But Carl Jenner and Ben Wickens equalised before half-time, and Jenner grab-bed the winner five minutes from the end.

Abingdon Town Res crashed 4-1 at home to Division 1 East side Burnham Res in the second round of the Bluefin Insurance Brokers Supplementary Cup.

Jack Ross scored for Abingdon, but Burnham cruised home thanks to Aaron Berry’s double, Ja-mie Earis and an own goal.

James Glover hit a second-half hat-trick as Let-combe won 7-2 at Bevers-brook.

George Thatcher scored twice, with Alex Thomas and Owen Shaw also on target.

Tatendra Majoni bagged both Beversbrook goals.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree