'UPDATE: A clarification has been added to the bottom of this article'

THE family of a motocross rider who died after a race at the Culham motocross track has expressed concerns about the safety of the course.

Andrew Marchant, of Wolverhampton, died at the John Radcliffe Hospital in April this year after competing in a race.

The 41-year-old had completed a jump near a ‘hairpin’ turn when he fell of his vehicle and landed on his chest.

READ MORE: Delayed ambulance may have contributed to death of 18-year-old 

He later died after hospital staff suspected brain damage and decided to discontinue care.

Now, his family have now raised concerns about the design of the track and whether the safety regulations had been properly followed.

It took place at the track located on the grassy banks of the River Thames behind Culham Science Centre.

The venue opened the British series in 2017, 2018 and 2021, so has become the go-track to get the championship up and running.

Oxford Coroner’s Court today (October 5) heard that Mr Marchant had been going over a jump during a race but was in the air longer than other riders before landing further away than expected and falling off his bike at about 12.40pm.

READ MORE: Council accused of being 'unfair and unjust' towards taxi drivers

A doctor called to the incident said the rider had fallen onto his chest and both of his lungs had deflated.

He was given CPR and his chest was decompressed before he was air lifted to the hospital in Headington at 2.30pm.

An operation found Mr Marchant had eight internal bleeds including in his liver. His condition worsened and his care was eventually stopped. He passed away on April 16.

A post mortem examination carried out by pathologist Ian Roberts concluded the cause of death as severe injuries to the chest and abdomen with lung injuries also due to motocross sport.

Assistant coroner Michael Salter informed the inquest he had been sent pictures of the course from Mr Marchant’s family who were concerned about the safety of the track.

Mr Salter said: “My attention has been drawn by the family to look at the regulations, in particular fencing and protection.”

He asked Nick Webster, a safety marshall at the event on the day, if safety regulations were carried out which Mr Webster confirmed they had been.

READ MORE: Business faces bankruptcy after council asks for covid relief grant BACK

However, due to the family’s concerns of the racetrack design it was suggested the inquest be adjourned so the event organisers could call an expert witness to speak about the course.

A representative said: “Clearly the family have an issue with the track, it’s our view that this witness [Nick Webster] is the incorrect witness to talk about this.”


An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that this incident happened at the Revo ACU British Motocross Championship.

This was in fact an error on our part and we apologise for any confusion or upset caused.


Read more from this author

This story was written by Gee Harland. She joined the team in 2022 as a senior multimedia reporter.

Gee covers Wallingford, Wantage and Didcot.

Get in touch with her by emailing: Gee.harland@newsquest.co.uk

Follow her on Twitter @Geeharland

A message from our Editor

Thank you for reading this story and supporting the Oxford Mail.

If you like what we do please consider getting a subscription for the Oxford Mail and in return we’ll give you unrestricted access with less adverts across our website from the latest news, investigations, features, and sport.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok for more. 

You can also join the conversation in our Facebook groups: stay ahead of traffic alerts here, keep up to date with the latest from court here, share your favourite memories of Oxford here, get your daily dose of celebrity news here and take some time out with news that will make you smile. 

If you’ve got a story for our reporters, send us your news here. You can also list an event for free here.